xx Paypal Friends and Family Warning.

Discussion in 'Yard Sale / Wanted' started by cwbullet, Nov 19, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Nov 22, 2019 #31

manixFan

manixFan

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist

I have bought a lot of stuff from members of this forum over the years, and thankfully have never been burned. But a while back I did send payment as a purchase rather than F&F and added in the fee. (I had never done that before but had just read an article about PP fraud and got nervous). However, I got a very cryptic message back from PayPal that my payment was on hold while certain information was verified. The hold could last up to several days. Both the seller and I were frustrated by the hold as it delayed the shipment of something I needed quickly. The seller was understanding even though it implied he might be a risk when I knew he wasn't. He shipped the item before the payment cleared so I would get it on time, which I greatly appreciated. So make sure you let the seller know you want to pay as a purchase and not as F&F so there are no surprises.

Just a bit of information.

Tony

2. Nov 22, 2019 #32

RocketRev

RocketRev

RocketRev

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

Here at Wilson F/X I do take payments by PayPal, but I do NOT request that they come by F&F. I just figure that the almost 3% is worth it for both myself and the customer's security.

If you want the convenience, you gotta expect to pay the price that convenience costs.

Brad

3. Nov 22, 2019 #33

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

And 100% top notch service!

4. Dec 6, 2019 #34

cerving

cerving

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry TRF Sponsor TRF Supporter

Eggtimer Rocketry does everything with PayPal, when we send you an invoice and you pay it they take their 3% cut. That's the price of securely taking whatever payment the customer happens to use... if we had a payment cart we'd be paying the credit card company the 3% fee, so it's really a push. I personally really like PayPal (or Square, which I have to use for some EU transactions) because we never see the payment card information. It's safe for the customer, and we don't have to worry about things like PCI compliance. In the few instances in which I've run into PayPal issues, they've always been resolved quickly.

Rocket86 likes this.
  5. Dec 6, 2019 #35

jadebox

jadebox

jadebox

Roger Smith TRF Sponsor

We use PayPal for the same reasons. The only issue we have had that occasionally a customer will balk at using PayPal during checkout because they don't have a PayPal account or think they will be required to use or create one. But, with most merchants, you can pay through PayPal using a credit or debit card without having a PayPal account.

ChicagoDave likes this.
  6. Dec 22, 2019 #36

Motocrossman24

Motocrossman24

Motocrossman24

I am also really into fpv racing drones, and there are many Facebook marketplace groups selling drones and parts...it seems like every other day there is a high dollar “I got scammed” post for paying friends and family...I get that the rocketry demographic is generally much older, and I would assume much more honest in general. But having seen it happen more times then I can count. I’ll never use friends and family unless it’s literally a friend or family member that I can visit if something goes wrong. We live in a different time now, and it seems everyone and their mother is out to make a quick buck at the expense of the next guy. Digital scams are only in their infancy now, and it’s extremely important to be diligent and cover yourself where ever possible. I simply won’t make a purchase online unless it’s through PayPal goods and services or my credit card company.

DAllen likes this.