Payload Suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have built a rocket that can carry up to 7 ounces 1700 ft. It is a 2 stage rocket with the ability to take custom built payloads.
Check out https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?136424-Starting-construction-on-the-H-L-P-L-Rocket for more info on the build.

After the cool first tests, I would like to conduct some science with it or other tests or "firsts". Do you have any suggestions of payloads or experiments. Or perhaps something that has never been done before? Let me know. I will try any that seems viable and post the vids and results.

I can recall reading an article about folks who were using rockets to get air temp readings along with an altimeter (believe they were looking for temp inversions). with a gps one could chart wind direction/ speed. 1700' isn't really all that high for seeing effects of altitude changes though one could try launching marshmallows.
Rex

Digital Cameras... Get videos of your flights.

Old school projects... Build a device to record the G forces your payload experiences.

Do NOT launch live vertebrate animals. It has been done before, and besides being cruel, it violates a lot of rules, and could put you into some hot water. Besides, the mess that can result is really off putting. A former acquaintance of mine launched a mouse once when we were kids. The 2nd stage failed, and the rocket lawndarted. The mouse did not survive. His parents tossed all of his rockets, and his surviving pet mice were given to a pet store... likely to be used as food for snakes.

Last edited:
This might have been what Rex was referring to: The Glenda Project

I got to hear Dave Davis present on this at NARCON 2015 in Seattle. His intro was about how rocket and motor design are reaching their limits under current rules and with current technology, and they wanted to start actually using them for something besides just watching them fly.

Maybe it will provide you with some inspiration =)

similar, Glenda is more advanced (and higher budget) than the one I read about(where they were using a thermistor glued to the side of the nose cone's shoulder) and lower power motors...however Glenda does illustrate nicely what I was saying about weather observation, thank you for the link. since the op probably would like to get his rocket back I would suggest Not trying to do lightning research :).
Rex

Back