Payload nose cone cap very loose?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdwg

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Estes Designers Special to build the rockets in the Make book. The kit comes with some hollow nose cones which I assume are payload ones because they had caps that go on the bottom that are also used to tie the shock cord on. My issues is that the cap is very loose, like a light breeze would blow it off, am I supposed to glue this on? It seems like that would work, but it would loose it’s payload ability. Thank you for the help!

I just did the masking tape trick that you use to make a tighter fit in the body tube. I think this will work and still gives access to the payload portion. Still wondering if there is a "proper" way to fix it, so please let me know if you have a better idea.

Just to add a bit.

The cones with the add-on caps are generally injection molded, and are generally quite nice quality. No seam up the side that needs filling, etc.

Blow-molded cones are made as one piece with the cap integral. They kinda suck in comparison due to the seam up the side that needs filling and less consistent geometry, both externally and with respect to wall thickness. But injection molding tooling is quite a bit more expensive.

Back