Payload bay on main rocket body

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunstar

Reaction score
I would like to build a rocket to hold my small digital camera, and I don't want the camera to be upside down during decent, so the plan is to have the payload bay for the camera attached to the main rocket body, not the nosecone. Are there any existing designs out there for low power rockets with payload bays like that or am I heading into uncharted waters.

I don't have anywhere near encyclopedic knowledge of the market, so I can't amswer the question directly. But I bet there isn't any. Because the ejection gas would have to bypass the payload section somehow, and enter a "parachute chamber" of some sort. Which is a cool idea, but I would bet against there being a kit.

So sit down and start designing.

(Or use electronic deployment, but since you specified LPR I guess that's not what you want.)

I would like to build a rocket to hold my small digital camera, and I don't want the camera to be upside down during decent, so the plan is to have the payload bay for the camera attached to the main rocket body, not the nosecone. Are there any existing designs out there for low power rockets with payload bays like that or am I heading into uncharted waters.

You are over-complicating it.
For low-power rockets, an 808 keychain camera, attached to the airframe via velcro tape, works wonders:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keychain-C...933937?hash=item3da77c1cb1:g:1V0AAOSwR9BfFmFk
Once you go high-power and approach/exceed supersonic speeds, the above will no longer suffice.
But for low-power rockets, it's plenty good, inexpensive, and fun!

HTH,
a

True true. And here I was giving an overly complicated answer to the original question, neglecting the fact that it was overly complicated relative to the original problem.

Back