Payday arrives Saturday for Utah businessman's 'rocket fever'

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.sugarhouseaerospace.com/sugarhouse-1 has some more details.

I'm skeptical that there's much of a market for this sort of thing, but I guess time will tell. Their launch is happening tomorrow -- their first flight, some time ago, shredded when a fin came off.

No idea where the name comes from -- the propellant is said to be some proprietary solid, looks like APCP to me.

Launch was postponed until tomorrow. Small window available in the morning before the winds exceed limits.

It is a nice design and I hope it is successful. There's a growing market for low-cost suborbital space lofting. Educational market and pre-orbital subsystem testing, to name a couple.

The launch will be live streamed. I will try to catch some photos to post here.

Looking forward to hearing the launch report. :) Heller is going to be crawling out of his skin.

Per Facebook page today's launch was scrubbed due to communication issues with the flight computer. Future launch date updates "coming soon".

There's a growing market for low-cost suborbital space lofting. Educational market and pre-orbital subsystem testing, to name a couple.
Hmm. As a data point, UP Aerospace has flown 14 missions over their whole lifetime (first flight in 2006). Sugarhouse seems to be targeting a lower-cost market where one can launch a given volume for a flat rate (for example, a 3x3x3cm cube weighing 48 grams for $500.) There don't appear to be any power, telemetry, pointing, or any other services, which rules out a large class of applications; I presume the payloads have to be completely self-contained. Sugarhouse says they will sell you a dedicated flight for $250K which I'm guessing is roughly what UP Aerospace charges, so it's the ride-sharing Sugarhouse is really going after.

Watched the static test that Sugarhouse did at RRS a couple of months ago. Helped load the motor onto the test stand, from what I could see they have a filament winder and are doing beautiful work on full carbon fiber filament wound motors. The motor is a minimum diameter T, I want to say 30cm diameter. When I asked Riley about the composition, the answer was a vague proprietary composite motor. Also impressed that they are able to turn around from static test to launch in 2 months. They had all kinds of problems with wireless comms at the static test (the actual ignition was great). Wish them they best at Spaceport, and if that doesn't work out, they are always welcome back in So. Cal.

Launch was postponed until tomorrow. Small window available in the morning before the winds exceed limits.

It is a nice design and I hope it is successful. There's a growing market for low-cost suborbital space lofting. Educational market and pre-orbital subsystem testing, to name a couple.

The launch will be live streamed. I will try to catch some photos to post here.

I was hoping to bump into you at some point over the weekend but Steve pointed you out just as you were leaving on Sunday lol.

I was hoping to bump into you at some point over the weekend but Steve pointed you out just as you were leaving on Sunday lol.
Not a lot of time last weekend to socialize. We needed those "Hello My Name is: ____" stickers. ;-)

Thursday morning is the new launch window. Very few people remaining in town, but I will be out there.

Not a lot of time last weekend to socialize. We needed those "Hello My Name is: ____" stickers. ;-)

Thursday morning is the new launch window. Very few people remaining in town, but I will be out there.

Yeah that's what I heard too. Unfortunately we won't be able to make the trip back out, due to work and all. If they have to bump it back a month or two we might be able to do that, however. We had a great time, nonetheless. Being out there for the peak of the Geminid meteor shower was amazing. I'm not used to so little light pollution lol.

Space from Spaceport:_DSC4855-2.jpg

No go today - issue with the hydraulics on the launch tower. Hopefully it flies soon!

No go today - issue with the hydraulics on the launch tower. Hopefully it flies soon!
Rocket was ready. Weather was great (but cold). Main rotating bearing busted under side torque. Hydraulics too weak to lift. My further observations: Pivot point too short. Too much flex in the trusses (all aluminum with no steel backing). Rail and shoes were both aluminum and probably not sufficient for the ~1600+ pounds of rocket anyhow. Lots of work to move each piece. Steve rented a forklift.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PGWxcEFDMjEZtwvi8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iYTbQoC2us2X1MVWA

G57idnVnLARuiR7j92j0HVSNF3Pvv-SHcB2cjqUi3NoRK--YG6HkTO9JCxBsxjmuSqbnC3_x3ku9rlwPEUNETOmD4-qKkoWfao9YyS_Z33cWzf8eJqa7X54weERpIceuNKtb8q2LczG1TSg68V0nn9eXuptLhyKUrHhWnSXgtN-q1HpKoBGaYlmugz1esZGFHJc404re4p2dygOEA7p87cPFaUevQihFoMhE9JuI-yD9Zj3jaLbdKFsiPM3X7hB-FFgNmCBjYC59vXCUz3s3p-97lNXzU5Gc4-7Ucs7wh97A6NLpIXmnK6iHV3NxYbWWaUtnL8wNrE8D8CqMId2akxyDEfLNoWSojrFWqc1jS5OdmzHMWjBWKGG2x3yayi-wzyMC_JD223DbI3L5X_Jnwu6xYcn0Ezi1sLd8xKzgii1lKzih8m6cIVlGXikH4YJB7IFCo_8UkZP3mNF2bq2SU33AlEzVd7CnkXSnNlsWec3CAauUc8_c1wYsNUSve904MdGcxAVNGAtTtb_zXPBf6qWiBqlIgNbbgrag5aWU0Y7ZsaWdJOnubS86zN5_mu64gwnKX-tkk9q-u7Wbh2OqQK4jPRYuz6eJ_W6yynNncizMLR7PJUNrBlaAbmdZ0DUOAl5htWItL8oalgqq0ak6gYXSk0nXUK6Q9cUDOSt5Jqec8iI2CbuVFlJ0gRewZDTjyMQ-hg_ZrEK3atYr0OnNncEtebopT9tZcYRkltlhBHW_1uaW=w1048-h698-no

Back