Pay Pal must need a Tax Break!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I received an Email on one of my Pay Pal accounts today to be a precipitant of $5 through a special promotion.
While reading through the Eligible Requirements it says only available to the first 156,000 accounts to be validated.
Geesh, That's 780,000 DOLLARS!
That's quite a chunk of change to be giving out!
Just imagine if they lowered their fees so they just wouldn't collect that over 3/4 million?
Now, I know $5 is nothing to some people, and probably won't even bother to respond to the offer.
But for me, $5 in my pocket would supply me stuff for me to have a salad every night for a week!
I hope my account gets verified, even though I won't be able to buy the salad makings.
I'll probably use it towards some leather crafting stamp I don't have....yet.

Paypal made roughly $1 billion profit last quarter, and transacted something like $240 billion. The $780K is the proverbial drop in the bucket (I expect it would be considered a marketing expense.)

I hope you get the $5!

I have never invested in stocks, I'm not sure if I would understand how it works.
I do know my retirement investment was 25% secured, low interest.
And 75% was aggressive market, which I guess was stocks and such.
I also know in 2008 I lost 90% of what I had gained over investment.
I'm sure the people that understand it either pick well and do good, or pick bad and loose.
I do find it interesting in the News that was something happening with Game Stop that put the big leagues in jeopardy.
Causing them to limit the trading of Game Stop, or something of that nature.
If someone can find a way to over wit the Big Leagues at their own game, More Power To Them!

I have never invested in stocks, I'm not sure if I would understand how it works.
I do know my retirement investment was 25% secured, low interest.
And 75% was aggressive market, which I guess was stocks and such.
I also know in 2008 I lost 90% of what I had gained over investment.
I'm sure the people that understand it either pick well and do good, or pick bad and loose.
I do find it interesting in the News that was something happening with Game Stop that put the big leagues in jeopardy.
Causing them to limit the trading of Game Stop, or something of that nature.
If someone can find a way to over wit the Big Leagues at their own game, More Power To Them!

Most people let fund managers pick their stocks (retirement funds, mutual funds etc.), but my point is that anyone here could own Paypal (or any other public company) without knowing it, so when a public company does something, it's hard to blame anyone in particular, because its decisions are in the interest of the shareholders (i.e. anyone who invested in mutual funds), and I think that's most people.

The Gamestop story seems like a new phenomenon. A bunch of Reddit users coordinated to buy a "failing" company. So they raised the stock price (bought it) more than anyone expected, which screwed unsuspecting banks. But the stock is bound to fall back because the company remains sustainable. So it looks like some of those Reddit users, the latest buyers, were ready to lose big, just to screw the banks. A little twisted if you ask me.

On eBay, artificially raising the price of an item isn't allowed, so I suspect the SEC will step in to prevent such organized pranks.

Back