Paul Robinson Tribute Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
For Bunnell Blast, my wife, Bracha, and I built a rocket as a special tribute to Paul Robinson.

2009-11-15-0468.JPG

I designed the rocket and painted it dark green. I had intended to use a light shade of green, but ....

2009-11-15-0470.JPG

We printed the AMW logo on vinyl and applied it to the front of the rocket. Then Bracha went wild with paint pens, stickers, and decals to cover the rocket with a jungle theme.

2009-11-15-0588.JPG

We launched the rocket on an AMW/CTI ProX 29mm G106 Skidmark (a high-power motor even though it is a G motor).

The flight up was perfect. But, the ejection charge wasn't strong enough to deploy the parachute. The rocket began to backslide, almost gliding back down. It landed a little hard and the connection between the fins and fin ring broke, but it should be easy to fix.

-- Roger

Looks good.

Last weekend at the Tripoli MN research launch our mission was to fly as many skid mark motors possible in remembrance of Paul. We had a level 3 flight on a skid mark motor plus several H, I, J, & K impulse skid marks fly. I would bet that 75% of the rockets flown that day were skid marks.

Paul was a good friend of mine and an inspiration to all research motor builders to experiment with different formulas to provide awesome looking motors.

I miss him dearly.

Very nice tribute rocket Roger!

I love the way my tube fin rocket wants to almost glide on recovery..Very kewl looking!:cool:

I've been getting into rockets a little more lately and knew my grandfather was really into them as well. So recently I've stumbled across a bunch of memorial launches for him so I wanna say thank you to you and everyone else who was a friend of my grandfather, Paul.

I've been getting into rockets a little more lately and knew my grandfather was really into them as well. So recently I've stumbled across a bunch of memorial launches for him so I wanna say thank you to you and everyone else who was a friend of my grandfather, Paul.

I first met Paul when I did my L3 flight. He gave me a great discount on an N4000, which was really appreciated at the time. We talked quite a few times after that, and the thing I remember him saying most clearly is how proud he was of the quality of his motors. I never remember having to adjust a liner or a grain or anything else. He was a master for sure, and I think of him often.

Jim

My siblings and I saw a few of his rockets launch in 2007 when we were at his house in Florida for a couple weeks. Besides Disney, that was definitely the highlight of the trip. I got to see him a few more times at his sister's (my great aunt) before he passed. He was still staying positive.

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck to you keeping your grandfathers dream alive. His work still inspires many fliers today, as he really changed the look and feel of High Power Rocketry!

It is too bad this was never put into a kit. We could have a memorial launch across the globe.

Welcome to the forum!

I didn't know your grandfather very well, but I am happy to have shared time with him at several rocket launches. Looking back on it, I'm surprised at how short a period of time it was.

My wife, Bracha, and I first met Paul at the "Winternationals" launch in South Florida in February of 2008. He offered me a free rocket motor. It was an offer I found hard to refuse. So, I didn't!

The rocket motor was one of the first CTI reloads for use in an AMW case. It required you to use a metal nozzle adapter. The nozzle adapters were not available yet, so Paul loaned me one of the prototypes. I had fun showing off something new at our local launches.

Not long after that, Paul started attending our local launches in Northeast Florida. He usually set up a tent and sold motors at the launches. I liked to listen in when he talked with Jim Harris, another maker of rocket motors, and others about manufacturing the motors. He seemed very willing to share his knowledge even though Jim was a competitor.
I recall watching, we some amazement, as he used a circular saw to cut lengths of rocket propellant into the "grains" that we use in our motors. When Paul was there, we got fresh rocket motors at our launches!

At one of the launches, Paul wasn't feeling well. It was one of those really hot and muggy Florida days and your grandfather looked pretty bad. My wife and I had driven a small RV to the launch, so she and another women, a nurse, got Paul to take a break and lie down inside where it was air conditioned. Eventually, he felt a little better and called someone to come help him pack up and get home. A week or two later, he called Bracha to thank her for helping and to tell us that he was heading up north to be treated for pancreatic cancer.

We talked with him on the phone a couple of times after that, but never saw him again in person. I heard that he did attend some launches during that time, but not any of the ones we were at.
As we talked with him on the phone, it was tough knowing what he was going though and thinking about what he was facing, but he made us comfortable by being upbeat, but realistic.

I know there are probably people here in this forum that knew your grandfather better than I did. And, I am surprised to realize that I only knew him for a couple of years. It seemed longer (in a good way) than that. But, I do miss him.

-- Roger

I did my L-3 certification with one of AMW's mighty M-2200 Skidmarks. I knew Paul very well, if you keep flying, per chance we shall meet, & I would love to tell ya stories not appropriate for the forum..LOL He was one of the pioneer's in motors.

I was lucky enough to fly 11 M-2200's in my "Tiger Terror" over the years. This was his signature motor, that was highly desired amongst all the high power guys.

I miss him very much R.I.P

DSC_0250c.jpg

Seeing his motors fly in a Drag race were ALWAYS a memorable experience, 3 of them here. A shame you never got to see them.

M2200 Skidmark drag race part 2383.jpg

Last edited:
I never met him, but I did talk to him on the phone. I ordered a bunch of 38mm 1 grain motors on a special he had. He had plenty of patiences working with a BAR that return to the hobby for a third time. A good man who sold motors but to him it was a passion and not just a business.

Latest posts

Back