Parts identification for Eggtime Ion Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirkTheDaring

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting assembly on the Ion, but I'm having trouble identifying the capacitors. It's supposed to have this:

__ 3 .1 uF 1206 ceramic multilayer capacitor (brown) (not marked, but they;re in a PAPER carrier)

But I don't see anything with a paper carrier and I can't identify anything missing from the picture in the manual. (In other words, these capacitors don't seem to be in the picture in the manual).

I have one component I'm not 100% sure of (see picture), but it's in plastic, so I assume that it's the
__ 1 22 uF 1206 ceramic multilayer capacitors (brown) (not marked, but it’s in a CLEAR PLASTIC carrier)

Am I missing something or just being stupid? (lol, that's a joke son, but not much of one)

Since it's a weekend I hope someone from this group can help me before I contact Eggtimer directly.

Thanks!
Ken

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
You'll find Cris included four or five of the 0.1 µF capacitors and they will be in a paper carrier like the resistors are. That's your 22 µf capacitor. It's also thicker than the other caps or the resistors.

Also, Cris is pretty responsive to email queries.

You'll find Cris included four or five of the 0.1 µF capacitors and they will be in a paper carrier like the resistors are. That's your 22 µf capacitor. It's also thicker than the other caps or the resistors.

Also, Cris is pretty responsive to email queries.

The Clue is multiple 0.1uF caps and only 1 22uF cap.
Yes, and the 22uF cap is thicker.

Yup - I just went through that little bit of "fun" with one of mine. There was solder on the pin of the connector but it wasn't flowed over the plating on the hole it went through. Looked OK, but motion (like ejection) caused it to reset.

Re-soldered a few joints and it's up and running! Thanks for the help! Not sure when I'll be able to launch it, but I'd like to know if it's at least measuring pressure. I'm still googling, but if you have a pointer to how to do this, I'd appreciate it. I don't need accuracy, I'd just to like to know if it's working at all.

I don’t know if the ION will respond to the put-it-in-your-hands-and-suck test as I’ve not tried it, but perhaps it will. See at about 3:40 in the video on this page, which is about the original AltimeterOne: https://www.apogeerockets.com/Electronics-Payloads/Altimeters/Jolly-Logic-AltimeterOne

I have a small plastic bottle with a syringe attached by a piece of tubing that I use for ground checking altimeters that I got from Adept a number of years ago. That’s how I did my initial tests of mine.

A digital multimeter with a capacitance range is a handy thing to have for SMT parts identification.

Always inspect your soldering with at least 10x magnification to pick up the dodgy joints.

Back