Parachutes help alot!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scadaman29325

Catching up and tripping all over myself.
Reaction score
Saturday the club got together to do some pad building and launch a few afterwards. Well I prep-ed about a dozen that morning with dog barf, but didn't install the chutes at that time. I try to select my chutes depending on conditions.

Well I had to leave early and didn't get a chance to launch at our field. Later that day, after the appointments and errands, my son and I decided we could get a few up in the air.

Selected a streamer for my Totally Tubular, didn't unfurl :(

Sent my Polaris up next, about 2/3 of the way up, my son says "Dad did we put a parachute in that one? :eek:
It landed in some tall grass and only cracked one fin, thank you Lord!

We didn't forget any chutes the rest of the day! :rolleyes:

Absolutely beautiful day for flying, no wind, the sun was getting low at 7pm and the temp was about 80 deg.:p

Often in the crazyness of a club launch, with dozens of people around breaking concentration, I have a hard time getting everything right...
As silly as it sounds, a simple checklist, like the estes flight log or NAR flight card, gives you no choice but to remember those things... and besides... we document all of our flights... and this way we also have to sign off on the checklist...Can't lose...!!!
Good Luck....!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've gone out to the pad with no ignitor...

Originally posted by Loopy
I can't tell you how many times I've gone out to the pad with no ignitor...

speaking of "DUH!!!" moments.... I was in a hurry to prep my new Quest two stager... a zenith II at last saturday's launch.... jammed in the engines.. packed the chute.... 3-2-1.... whooosh.... it was at THAT moment...i realized that I had jammed a C6-FIVE in the 1st stage of the rocket... LUCKILY the 2nd stage didnt lite... so it lawn-darted.... instead of lawn-darting under full power haha...

no damage to the rocket... not even a scratch on the clear coat of the nose... after sticking a good 3 inches into the dirt..

jammed an ignitor into the unburnt engine... and sent that sucker right back up...

later
Jerryb

Back