parachute stuck together

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bxtreme

Reaction score
i shot off my estes taser the other day and the first flight went flawless great hight chute came out right as it nosed over ad it floated down nicely
on the second shot i packed everything up the same way as the first shot
but when the chut came out it never opened when i inspected it it was slightly melted together in spots enough to not let it inflate but when i tugged it aprt it would work fine. i use a nomex reusable sheet attached to the shockcord that is brand new how can i keep it from getting heated together? my dad says use powder we've seen them do this on drag cars when they pack the chute but not sure how it would work in a heated enviorment. any suggestions i am practicing with this cheap rocket before i fly my blackhawk kit from wildman and i'd like to experiment with the lil one first $$$
By the way the taser wasn't damaged from it high alt fall i was using a c6-7 estes engine at the time
the chute obviously is plastic but the chute for the blackhawk is nylon i beleive. I think the powder would help with it but not sure if it will help the plastic one

Last edited:
Dust it with baby powder. It works pretty good on plastic chutes.

That's all you need.

Maybe some of the wadding tissue besides the nomex just to be sure.

Talcum powder simply stops the platic from sticking to itself.

it will NOT stop the palstic from melting or melting to itself.

if it is melted, then heat from the ejection charge reached the parachute. This indicates that you did not use enough wadding or you did not use the wadding properly. (Yes, I read that you used Nomex, but it's the same thing).

Wadding must form a piston that seals off the top of the rocket from the bottom with the ejection charge fireball/flame-spewing motor. Perhaps your Nomex was too rigid and it formed folds that allowed the hot flaming fireball to bypass it. Use cellulose insulation in addition to the Nomex and form a good gas seal.

when i'm using nomex, i nearly always wrap the parachute up in a sheet or two of dispossible wadding, just in case a bit of hot gas makes it past the nomex. - i even do this on the big stuff.
after you have flown hundreds of flights you'll get used to the occasional parachute melt - or you'll have moved on to nylon chutes which don't melt as much

Like Gillard:
When I use a Nomex shield I also use two squares of Estes type FP wadding wrapped around the rearward facing end of the rolled chute(s), Both Nomex and Dog Barf have allowed Hot air to pass through enough to sometimes slightly melt plastic and mylar chutes together preventing them from full blossom. Adding a little protective sleeve has help eliminate this problem.

I always Talc Baby powder all my chutes regardless of material. it even helps nylon chute pop open;) The important thing to to get TALC baby powder.

Right, some baby powders have a lot of corn starch in them and they can get sticky when the humidity gets high. thus the talc.

N

Right, some baby powders have a lot of corn starch in them and they can get sticky when the humidity gets high. thus the talc.

N

I wonder if the corn starch itself could ignite when the ejection charge "aerosols" (my term, couldn't think of the proper one) the baby powder, like what happens in grain elevator explosions.

I wonder if the corn starch itself could ignite when the ejection charge "aerosols" (my term, couldn't think of the proper one) the baby powder, like what happens in grain elevator explosions.

As a matter of fact... ummm ... hmmmm yes it will. Don't know about baby powder but corn starch will, especially when a tablespoon or two in put in a night rocket. Even more spectacular is Cremora. But I wouldn't ....ummmm...recommend this, a... no I would not.

Back