Parachute Sroud Lines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accooper

Reaction score
I love making my own parachutes from recycled shopping bags(I'm performing experiments on different ones as we speak), but one area I am having trouble with is the shroud lines.

I have tried may different things like dental floss, kite string, fishing line, Kevlar(way to expensive for low power rockets), and now my wife has suggested Crochet Thread, or Embroidery Floss.

Do any of you have an suggestions?

Andrew
Dark Lord Of The Scratch Builders

I love making my own parachutes from recycled shopping bags(I'm performing experiments on different ones as we speak), but one area I am having trouble with is the shroud lines.

I have tried may different things like dental floss, kite string, fishing line, Kevlar(way to expensive for low power rockets), and now my wife has suggested Crochet Thread, or Embroidery Floss.

Do any of you have an suggestions?

Andrew
Dark Lord Of The Scratch Builders

Can not disagree more Andrew!
I've switched all my micro, model and mid power rocket shroud lines to Kevlar thread. I purchase a 600yd spool from Edmund Scientific at https://scientificsonline.com Item #3034863
The stuff is about 13-20lb test, 2 strand twisted Kevlar thread. WONDERFUL stuff for Shrould lines, Streamer attachments and tons of other fine line uses. I've even used it to make my own heavier Kevlar lines...another BSA skill put to Mod-Roc use LOL!!!
Just checked today the Rolls are still available for 19.95 plus shipping it's still less then a penny a foot. Not as cheap as cotton capret thread but Ya don't have to worry about buring it off either:) Since switching to this material for shroud lines I can't recall the last shroud i've lost due to burn off or tear out. I've destroyed a few 1/2mil mylar chutes in egglofters but they always come down as 8 wedge shaped streamers LOL!!!
Of all the different shroud line materials i've tried over the years, this stuff is my number one First choice for just about all micro and Model rockets up to about 2 lbs. over this I generally used 50 or 70lb kevlar sawn into my ripstop nylon chutes.
Here are a few examples.

Mylar Comp Chutes-d_knot & lloop shroud on tape square.jpg

Plastic Hemi chute-c_3pic Pg_01-12-00.jpg

X-Form-c_RipStop Nylon 12 & 24in 2pic_06-02.jpg

If you're going to build and fly a lot of rockets, then the $20 (plus shipping) spool of Kevlar thread that John suggested makes a lot of sense.

If you're not a heavy flier, then I cotton thread purchased locally makes more sense.

Me? I'd probably spend the $20+s/h for the Kevlar, primarily due to how much stuff I build and fly.

-Kevin

Back