Parachute selection

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which chute?

• Total voters

AtomicStorm

Reaction score
Im doing a few lpr builds and i got a few yards of 1.1 ripstop nylon in the mail today from ripstopbytheroll. I am interested to hear what design of parachute you guys and gals like the most. I original liked the helicopter design because of the cool look, less material needed, higher drag, but i heard that they can tangle easy and they are hard to pack. My second choice would be the light weight annular but i haven't made one or used one yet. Let me know what you like and why. I like designs with just a few lines to prevent tangle. If you have a recommended diameter, line type, where i can find gore patterns, etc., anything helps, thanks!
The mean machine, stock build.
HL Olympus w/ 29mm upgrade.
HL vapor w/ 29mm upgrade.

Last edited:
Im doing a few lpr builds and i got a few yards of 1.1 ripstop nylon in the mail today from ripstopbytheroll. I am interested to hear what design of parachute you guys and gals like the most. I original liked the helicopter design because of the cool look, less material needed, higher drag, but i heard that they can tangle easy and they are hard to pack. My second choice would be the light weight annular but i haven't made one or used one yet. Let me know what you like and why. I like designs with just a few lines to prevent tangle. If you have a recommended diameter, line type, where i can find gore patterns, etc., anything helps, thanks!
The mean machine, stock build.
HL Olympus w/ 29mm upgrade.
HL vapor w/ 29mm upgrade.

I build elliptical chutes for my birds using Richard Nakka's gore generator (https://www.nakka-rocketry.net/paracon.html) to make the templates. I've made a number of 18" x 12 gore chutes that deply just fine. You could certainly drop down to 6 or 8 gores if you like. I spike and "flake" the chute canopy, then fold and roll it into a bundle. I roll (*not* wrap) the lines around the bundle. They unroll very cleanly in my experience, even in a couple of extremely non-nominal deployments (late ejections at high speed). I use 1.1 oz ripstop from Ripstop by the Roll and 8-strand braided PE (Spectra) fishing line.

Annular, but my reasons are for the efficiency and technical challenge.

One of these days I'll post the results of my testing here. Gore calculator is if my own making...

PXL_20210807_025315388.jpg

Back