Parachute Reefing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireone

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one knows how much reefing a 24' chute will speed up the decent rate? I have whats going to turn out to be a 50 lb rocket and I have access to a 24' chute but the chute is to big and it will never come down. If I can reef it to bring up the decent rate I will not have to cluster any chutes. Any ideas good bad or otherwise?

Originally posted by fireone
I was wondering if any one knows how much reefing a 24' chute will speed up the decent rate? I have whats going to turn out to be a 50 lb rocket and I have access to a 24' chute but the chute is to big and it will never come down. If I can reef it to bring up the decent rate I will not have to cluster any chutes. Any ideas good bad or otherwise?

Why not dual deploy?

It will be dual deployment, this is going to be a fairly large rocket.
50 lbs is an educated guess could be less but probably more than that. I was thinking of having the main come out at 1700' but maybr I will adjust that down to 800' feet or so then I can use the chute as is.

Thanks for making me lose the tunnle vision, now I can see more clearly now. To much for my brain cell to handle lately:D

I'm with William. 50 lbs? 24 inch chute?
Could it be 24 foot chute?

I have seen a couple projects use mulitple chutes instead of one big one. Our Prefect used two 8' parasheets for his L3 (50lbs) and the Delta II Project used three 8' parasheets for recovery (I think total weight was 60-75ish).

To see how much you have to reef it I think your best bet would be some (if it's legal where you are) car testing. I know I do this for finding descent rates of my chutes. I drive in the car with my anemometer and fish scale. The anemometer tells me the windspeed and the fish scale reads the pound force the parachute is pulling. By doing it at a lot of different points I get a nice graph. Just an idea.

Edward

Back