Parachute Problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone has problems with the Quest 'chutes?? Because on the first two launches of my Quest Tomahawk SLCM, the parachute has come out of the BT, but hasn't opened. This is starting to annnoy me now, is there a way to help it open, or should i just buy a different 'chute and put it in it??

Cheers

-Phil

I've found that to happen if I store the rocket with the chute inside the tube. Now, I always store my rockets with the chute's open and outside the body tube. This can also happen if you pack the chute and then leave the rocket in the sun, or some other hot place for awhile before launching it. Also, packing it too tightly can cause this.

Many people will sprinkle baby powder on their chutes to keep them from sticking together, and this helps them unfurl and open nicely.

Loopy

WiK,
I attach my chutes to a snap swivel, which is a common piece of fishing tackle and can be found at any store with a sporting goods department. That way I can attach it to the NC when the rocket is launched, but remove it for storage. The chutes tend to open better when they aren't stored in the BT. I hang them on a "laundry line" piece of string across one end of my workshop in between launches.
Also, if you get a melted or stripped chute, but still want to fly the rocket, just unhook and switch. That way two or more rockets can share one chute, if need be.

Wik:
Crush the chute canopy into and out of a tight ball about a dozen times. Some will require more some less "softening" then talc babypowder the heck out of both sides. leave a little in as you spike,fold and roll the chute for insertion in the body. I store my chutes in the models and NEVER have an opening problem in cold weather or after long storage periods. The same process works with competition 1/4mil mylar chutes also. Estes plastic chutes usually do not need the crushing but absolutely need the powder.
Unless you are doing Micro-Maxx chutes, a #14 or 16 snap swivel is a great addition to your recovery system.
Happy canopying

I know this doesn't solve the problem but Quest has recently changed their chute material.....you won't have near the plastic memory problems that you get from a Quest chute in the past....

Thats a clever idea rbeckey, I know I have some snap swivels in the tackle box. I have a Quest Nike-K and the parachute doesn't want to open properly. I'll try the snap swivel method, then it should work.

Back