Parachute patterns

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's a large part of my problem. The bottom edge of corrugated cardboard actually sticks out slightly, and the hot knife is welding the nylon to that edge.
I think the other issue is that unlike the hard board, the cardboard has fibers that stick out and end up inside the melted nylon and you actually have to break the fibers to get the nylon off. With the hardboard, it might stick, but it is just surface contact.

I would sand the edges to have a small radius
Using your idea, I beveled the edge of the cardboard with an X-Acto knife, then wrapped it in a 1-inch strip of aluminum foil, and it works great. The bevel moves the bottom edge of the cardboard almost an eighth of an inch away from the hot knife cut, and the foil keeps the edge from burning, so I can cut a little slower.

Anyway, your idea saved hot-knife cutting of gores for me. Thanks!

IMG_0117.jpg IMG_0119.jpg IMG_0120.jpg

Last edited:
Using your idea, I beveled the edge of the cardboard with an X-Acto knife, then wrapped it in a 1-inch strip of aluminum foil, and it works great. The bevel moves the bottom edge of the cardboard almost an eighth of an inch away from the hot knife cut, and the foil keeps the edge from burning, so I can cut a little slower.

Anyway, your idea saved hot-knife cutting of gores for me. Thanks!

View attachment 452875 View attachment 452876 View attachment 452877
You could probably also the aluminum tape they use to seal ductwork joints.

Hello, excuse the old thread ressurection but wondered if you all might be interested in this online design tool for annular parachutes that we've just put online.. image is of the first one we made using these calculations based on the T. W. Knacke book maths. https://www.openresearchrocketry.co.uk/projects/annular-parachute-calculator
View attachment 415998
Hey, I'm from Brazil and I can't have access to the calculator. Is the link down or restricted for my country?

Back