Parachute Packing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
I'd like to get some additional info on packing parachutes.

I'm beginning the long haul toward L2 and am planning dual deployment. Some questions:

1. When does a recovery bag come into play?

2. Ive seen two kinds of packing. One is the z-fold (ala PML) and the other is rolled with the lines wrapped around the chute.

3. I've read talk about using small fragile rubber bands to hold the shrouds coiled until deployment.

Any comments. tip, references, or ideas are welcome.

Thanx

Al

I use a deployment bag usually in the 'free bag method' This is when you pop the nose cone off and then have a drogue extract the main out of a bag - or are using an AARD or Tether. This way you are nearly guaranteed to get the chute out. If you use a droge and still attach it to line and bag - you might not pull the bag all the way out.

I personally use the Z-Fold. Just like it...don't like rolling the lines - gives me the heebeejeebeee's.

I use rubber bands to hold the lines. I go to Wal*Mart and in the hair section they have these little black ones for braiding - work perfectly for shroud lines. I Z-Gather my lines - then I just add a rubber band on each end. That way when pulled it slips out of the rubber band and then it extracts nicely.

HTH,

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw

I use rubber bands to hold the lines. I go to Wal*Mart and in the hair section they have these little black ones for braiding - work perfectly for shroud lines. I Z-Gather my lines - then I just add a rubber band on each end. That way when pulled it slips out of the rubber band and then it extracts nicely.

HTH,

Edward

I like that idea , I think im gonna use it! Do the rubber bands just 'flick' off when the shrouds get snagged?
-Karl

Yea, the rubber bands just zing off to who knows where. You need to put them about 1" from the ends on both sides. It works great for me. I saw some sky divers using rubber bands and then thought "Hmmm...I could do that on a smaller scale." So that's what I do.

Edward

Ok. Heres how I do "the big ones".

First I lay the chute out flat (this is the most difficult part for the biggest ones!:D :p ), then pull the far side in so its doubled-over. Then I fold it in half again, and again once more untill it looks like a good-sized piece of pie. Then I take ends of the lines in my hand, and lay them about 2/3ds of the way up the chute. Then I lay most of the rest alongside them so theres about 12-15" sticking out past the chute. Then I fold it one more time, fold it in quarters lenthwise, wrap it up, and wrap the remaining 12-15" of shroud lines around the chute to keep it rolled up.

THis is just how *I* do it. Otheres proabably do it other ways. Ask 100 people and you will get 100 (different) awnsers...:D

wrapping the shroad lines around the chute gives me the shivers too, good ol' Z-method:)

This little folding trick was shown to me by a guy who used to rig ejection-seat parachutes. It slows the chute's opening just enough to reduce opening shock by causing it to streamer for a second or so....

Lately I have been working on different ways to slow the opening of a parachute and found two methods that work well.

One: A reefing ring. I think the commercial product is called "Slider" You put this over the lines and it lets them open slowly for high speed deployments.

Two: Daisy chain the shrould lines. I start nearest the connection point and work my way up - that way it unties from the parachute end. It really slows the opening yet still opens pretty fast.

Also - on that site they just tied an overhand knot in the TN, I personally use a Double Figure 8 - like for climbing...I just like it better.

Edward

Back