Parachute line

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jef955

Reaction score
Just curius what some of you use for parachute lines. I have been looking for one but what I have found so far like in the craft stores I don't really like. I did order some from Apogee not too long ago and looks pretty good - looks like a real heavy cotton. Is it cotton threat or something else ? Thanks in advance...

Not sure what you mean by parachute line? If you mean shroud lines, you need to tell us what type and size of parachute you want it for.

For small chutes, up to 30" mylar, Estes type chutes, I use a heavy duty upholstery thread. For nylon chutes from 8" to 72", with 8+ shrouds, I use 150# dacron line. It's the same thing that you get on window blinds. I got 3000 feet of it for $15.00 on special at the Kite Studio. Here's a link to their specials page.

The specials vary from month to month.

Thanks for the info. Shroud lines for low power - Estes type prob. no more than 24" I was basically looking for what comes with most of the commercial kits.

For my small sport models, I use the spectra fishing line (40#, I think?) For my small contest models, I use 6# Kevlar, and for heavier, I go all the way up to the 50# stuff. It is still surprisingly thin line. For larger sport models, I go for kite cord.

The kite cord/fishing line is cheap, but prone to heat failure. Kevlar, on the other hand, is more expensive, but can handle quite a bit of heat before it fails (though I have managed to do that before.)

I know I'm gonna catch H E double toothpicks for letting the cat outta da bag!

If y'all check Ebay, under the title of "kevlar thread" , then scroll down to the ebay stores area (where all of the "Buy it nows" are listed, there is a guy that sells a 1lb. spool of black kevlar for $10.00. Enlarge the picture to be sure you are buying the one that is Tex 90. I have been very pleased with this material. Get the cheaper method of shipping- it still gets to me pretty darned quick!

Hope this helps.
Evil Ed

My recommendation is the same Kevlar thread: 13-20lb. I pick up mine through https://scientificsonline.com Edmunds Scientifics #3034863 sells today for 19.95 for a 600yd spool, natural yellowish color.

As Ed mentioned even with shipping is still under a penny a foot and you don't have to worry anymore about burning them off.
I use silver trim monokote to make my 1/2" square "tape dots". I tie a simple overhand knot about 1/2" from each end of the shroud and half loop it onto the adhesive side of the tape square, burnishing it down onto the plastic or mylar canopy with a rounded dowel or burnishing tool. they do not come off:)

Thanks for all the info guys. I ordered the kevlar today (actually Ellen ordered it since she has the Ebay acct). John where do you get The MonoKote from ? Is it the standard size you get for like model airplane wing cover or is it something like a strip or spool ?

Thanks for all the info guys. I ordered the kevlar today (actually Ellen ordered it since she has the Ebay acct). John where do you get The MonoKote from ? Is it the standard size you get for like model airplane wing cover or is it something like a strip or spool ?

Tower Hobbies is where I got the last couple sheets but I've also picked it up at local hobby shops, mirror "Chrome" silver is usually a standard.

Trim monokote is more or less adhesive backed Vinyl. It's generally a tad thicker then graphic vinyl sheeting which also work. 3m, Avery, Calon, Arlon, etc. Most have a mirror silver mylar that tend to be thinner then standard vinyls which helps with staying in place when packed.

Sounds like a winner I think i'll take a look at the Monokote. I saw somewhere else on here someone mentioned duct tape too, which might be worth a try - it's cheap that's for sure ! Thanks again everyone for all your input :)

Back