Parachute Landing on Launch Rod

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe blog.payloadbay.com influenced me to shortly after upgrade to a Casio EX-F1, which i still use to this day.

Not sure if it is still true, but the last time I looked, used EX-F1s were selling for more than I paid for mine when it was new!

The prices have come down in last few years. But for a good 8-10 years after release, they retained value very well. I actually picked a second one up (for the 600FPS and 1200FPS) a few months back, for less than 200. Will use the two EX-F1s and then a more recent 720p 240FPS action cam. The action cam will replace the Casio FC100 and FH20.

Seems hard to find newer slow motion cameras, that have high FPS that will record long enough timespan to allow turning on, walking back to launch controller, waiting for all rockets on pads to get launched, then walk back and turn camera off. If you do find one, they are usually expensive and have a reputation for overheating and turning themselves off due to overheating.

Bob

This was only the second day i used a slow motion camera, and we would have never known why this happened without the video. Clearly the igniter wire not releasing was the start of it all.

Bob

I've seen that happen a couple times. Wasn't sure what the cause was until we used slow-motion as well. Well, that and the one time the wiring from the controller ended up in a tree (yet the rocket flew fine!) The straw method to hold the ignitor was always the culprit for us. Masking tape or estes style plugs don't seem to cause the same issue.

Dead calm day. Flew to 5600ft on J-275.

Rocket landed 5-6 ft from pad with shock cord stretching across and on blast deflector. parachute on other side of pad. Guess u could call it a dead 'center' landing!

2nd closest flight was 9,999 ft [yep] on K-1050 demo flight in Vegas....landed 50ft from pad.

My best, which somebody might possibly tie but will never beat, was the booster of my Apogee II in the 70s.

Launched it with my dad. We saw and recovered the sustainer, but we never saw the staging event and looked all around the launch site without finding the booster.

When I went to pack up, the booster was on the rod, on the pad............

The rocket had staged before the booster left the rod, and slid back down the rod to the pad.
It happened so fast my Dad and I were watching the sustainer (thinking it was the whole stack) all the way to sustainer apogee.

What modern (current) cameras are good for taking slow motion videos from the ground of rockets taking off?

Is a camcorder, a phone, an action camera or a still camera which also takes videos preferable?

How many frames per second do they take?

One would think that a simple flash memory camcorder that takes 1080p videos at 240fps would be available at a reasonable price, but I have not been able to find anything even close.

What modern (current) cameras are good for taking slow motion videos from the ground of rockets taking off?

Is a camcorder, a phone, an action camera or a still camera which also takes videos preferable?

How many frames per second do they take?

One would think that a simple flash memory camcorder that takes 1080p videos at 240fps would be available at a reasonable price, but I have not been able to find anything even close.

Seems like this should be a new thread. More likely to get seen by others, and more likely to get answered.

Bob

Back