Parachute fetish

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
I did a bit of cleaning up and sorting in my workshop today and logged in all my unused parachutes. Note, these are only the unused, i.e., they don't include the 10 to 12 MPR/LPR rockets with single chutes or the 8 to 10 HPR rockets with dual deploy (two chutes) in my workshop and storage (BTW, I don't reuse chutes. Once assigned to a rocket, they stay there).

Take a look at the attached... Nearly 50 parachutes (with only some 20 rockets on deck)... So do you think I have a problem? Do they have PA (Parachutes Anonymous)?

(BTW, don't even ask me about STREAMERS!)

View attachment Parachute inventory.pdf

Holy Moses! If you had 50 little parachutes lying around, that would seem fairly normal for somebody who ends up with a large collection and perhaps hates plastic ones or something. But 12 foot parachutes just LYING AROUND? Those suckers ain't cheap! Of course, rockets requiring a 12 foot parachute aint cheap either, but...

Holy Moses! If you had 50 little parachutes lying around, that would seem fairly normal for somebody who ends up with a large collection and perhaps hates plastic ones or something. But 12 foot parachutes just LYING AROUND? Those suckers ain't cheap! Of course, rockets requiring a 12 foot parachute aint cheap either, but...

Well, I wouldn't say they're just lying around. I do have them targeted for projects. Many/most are not new. I'm picking up good used ones for good prices as they become available. But still, I have to get control of myself. (BTW, I didn't even put the mylar or plastic chutes on the list)

Last edited:
Ar you subtly hinting that you are selling these?

I may be selling some. That's one reason I took the inventory. I need to realistically match them up to all my projects and then decide. The thread though was more to get feedback and see if others were as bad off as me.

I may be selling some. That's one reason I took the inventory. I need to realistically match them up to all my projects and then decide. The thread though was more to get feedback and see if others were as bad off as me.

I can only wish I was as bad off as you.

Oh if only I lived next door, instead of borrowing a cup of sugar, I'd be like, can I borrow a 'chute? hahaha

Even buying them used, you probably have more money tied up in chutes then I have in my whole fleet! :eek:

Of course I scratch build almost everything from what I can scrounge. My last four parachutes were made from old umbrellas for the cost of the shroud lines, @ $0.005 a foot. If course I get off on building things really cheap! Almost better then launching. :blush:

Back