Parachute color input

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kandsrockets

Reaction score
I am in the middle of getting an order ready for some rip stop and would like some input on what color combination you would use. Here is a list of the color combinations we are looking at.

Dark Purple/Tangerine or Orange
Black/Tangerine or Orange
Navy Blue/Tangerine or Orange
Dark Purple/Lemon Yellow
Black/Lemon Yellow
Navy Blue/Lemon Yellow
Dark Purple/Hot Pink
Black/Hot Pink

Keep in mind that I am looking at making hi visible chute in the air and on the ground.

Since we have to buy 100 yards of each color we are limiting it to 2 colors for now.

Thanks for your input

black and hot pink would be my choice.

after that, black and any other bright easy to spot on the ground colour.

The best combination of colors would be Black and any color the meets the ANSI 107 High Visibility Safety Color Spec (except the yellow shades).

The best parachutes (IMO) a made from colors that contrast against the colors that are behind/around them. Black works great for cloudy days. The high vis orange and red work great on the ground and on clear blue sky days (the yellow shades are not dark enough to see against the blue sky).

Your textile supplier should be familiar with the ANSI 107 spec. You might have to pay a little more because the dyes used to make these colors are slightly more expensive that what is used to make the color palette you posted, but it's worth it.

Now if you really want to make the perfect parachute combination...you'll need three colors....Black, an ANSI 107 color, and a photoluminescent color. That right night launches......

Alan

Considering the color wheel......

Purple & Yellow

Pink and Orange

Black and any of the bright colors

I'd chunk the Navy Blue... Like you said, it looks black. Do they have an electric lime green?

Lime Green and Lemon Yellow? Hmm? Hmm?

N

Do you have a bright blue, or is the blue you say you have on your website the navy?

As for visibility, the black and orange would be my vote.

Do you have a bright blue, or is the blue you say you have on your website the navy?

As for visibility, the black and orange would be my vote.

If you look on Rocketry Planets Auctions you can see the blue I have now but I only have about 10 yards left.

Black/Tangerine or orange OR black/hot pink. I think both color combinations look great and are also highly visible.

Purple and Yellow,
He's one Super Fellow!
thumbnail.aspx

Here is our Orange and Black chute. This is a KSR-14 designed for 18 to 32 pounds at a decent rate of 15-20 fps

ksr14ob.jpg

Back