Parachute Burrito

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kcee

Reaction score
Here is a duel deployment system developed by Marcus Leech a nitros head who flies a lot of hybrids here in Canada.
I used it in one of my models for a canadian H altitude attempt at Roc Lake VI this last summer.
It allows you to deploy drogue and main chute from the same compartment.This is ideal for rockets with limited space for recovery components.
Attached is the artical written by Marcus and pulished by Earthrise the newsletter of CAR and also a .jpeg of my Nuke Pro Max before attaching the harness to the booster section using the burrito system.
I've flown it this way 3 times and every time it worked flawlessly surely a poor mans PRD.

Sorry for the crummy bitmaps but you should be able to get the idea.

Kevin C
CAR S569 L3

So Kevin,

Let me know if I have this sequence right.

1. The Main is rolled into a burrito as described and attached via a shock cord to the nose cone/forward section. I don't understand the need for the sewing... why not just wrap it with a tether on cloth?
2. The main Charge is held in place under the filament line. I have the same green ejection cans as you. The lid blows off everytime rather than it blowing apart, how does that bust the fishing line? The Drogue charge is placed aft of the laundry.
3. Launch
4. Apogee, Altimeter deploys drogue charge and all the laundry comes out. The main is still bundled and hanging under the nose cone.
5. Main deployment, Main charge blows the fishing line off the wrapped laundry which then unravels and deploys.

What about replacing the wrap of cloth and fishing line with a chunk of small airframe (38mm)? At apogee just blow the tube out and then the main is deployed from the chunk of tube hanging under the nose cone. More weight I guess but I have a problem with that fishing line...

I want to try this in the Mystic Buzz on an I287!

Thanks
Layne

Originally posted by Manwithbeers
So Kevin,

Let me know if I have this sequence right.

1. The Main is rolled into a burrito as described and attached via a shock cord to the nose cone/forward section. I don't understand the need for the sewing... why not just wrap it with a tether on cloth?

Hi Layne
The main chute is connected directly to the eye bolt on the payload section as well as the sewn in tether for the nomex cloth surrounding the chute as well as the shock cord connecting the booster and payload sections at some location on this shock cord you would attach a drogue or streamer or if you chose nothing at all for drogueless deployment. so you have 3 things attached to the payload section.

2. The main Charge is held in place under the filament line. I have the same green ejection cans as you. The lid blows off everytime rather than it blowing apart, how does that bust the fishing line? The Drogue charge is placed aft of the laundry.

Correct the drogue charge is aft of the laundry as a primary or backup for motor ejection.
The fishing line passes directly through the inside of the plastic canister at the same time you glue or tape your Ematch in if you look closely on those plastic canisters you will notice there is a thin spot dead center of the lid maybe for inserting needles in the lab? anyway take a #11 exacto and drill it out this is where the fishing line exits the canister this alows you to close and seal the charge with the line not being in the way. the line is not really broken but literaly vaporised because it is now surounded by burning BP at deployment. you follow me :) so it comes in from the bottom with the match and exits through a hole poked into the center of the lid of the canister.
3. Launch
4. Apogee, Altimeter deploys drogue charge and all the laundry comes out. The main is still bundled and hanging under the nose cone.

Apogee the rocket breaks in half at mid point deploying a drogue chute attached to the shock cord connecting the booster payload sections together.
The main chute now out in the airstream still bundled in nomex wraped with one strand 15lb Trileen :) or line of your choice and held by the tether in order to keep it from pulling on the e-match
@ 600' the main charge goes vaporising the line holding the nomex wrap around the chute nomex blanket now falls away and stays with the rocket on it's tether main chute inflates.
cool huh :)

5. Main deployment, Main charge blows the fishing line off the wrapped laundry which then unravels and deploys.

What about replacing the wrap of cloth and fishing line with a chunk of small airframe (38mm)? At apogee just blow the tube out and then the main is deployed from the chunk of tube hanging under the nose cone. More weight I guess but I have a problem with that fishing line...

I think when you see it a light bulb will definately go on it really is very simple. when you see it first hand.

I want to try this in the Mystic Buzz on an I287!

Thanks
Layne

No problem
Layne hope I made it little clearer for you it works great.

Kevin C

Kcee writes,
The fishing line passes directly through the inside of the plastic canister at the same time you glue or tape your Ematch in if you look closely on those plastic canisters you will notice there is a thin spot dead center of the lid maybe for inserting needles in the lab? anyway take a #11 exacto and drill it out this is where the fishing line exits the canister this alows you to close and seal the charge with the line not being in the way. the line is not really broken but literaly vaporised because it is now surounded by burning BP at deployment.
/end quote.

Ahhh!

We Gots it nowwww....

Yes this will work. I need some nomex or kevlar. I can put my new MAWD altimeter into the modified nose cone of the Mystic Buzz and there shouldn't be a problem. Altitude predictor says 3500' not bad... Thanks Kevin!

(Insert Homer voice) - Mmmm....burrito....

Never heard of a burrito deployment. Sounds dangerous. :D

Originally posted by eugenefl
(Insert Homer voice) - Mmmm....burrito....

Never heard of a burrito deployment. Sounds dangerous. :D

I don't think the flour tortilla shell would make a very good parachute... :rolleyes:

Jason

Back