Parachute attachment point

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
With a single parachute, is it better to tie it to the nose cone or along the shock cord, and why.

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search?q=tie+parachute+to+shock+cord
After spending several minutes untangling the shroud lines around a Custom Equinox nose cone, I swore never again.
Another reason I can think of is that with a length of elastic shock cord between the nose cone and parachute there is more give when the chute opens, lessening the chance of the screw eye pulling out.

Also be careful with some of the blow molded plastic cones that have a built in plastic mount for shock cord and or chute. They break off. You definitely don’t want a piece of plastic to be the link between parachute and rocket.

Attachments

• 65587B79-D7D9-4957-9772-8215F37AEE8D.png
    65587B79-D7D9-4957-9772-8215F37AEE8D.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 55
Extending the principle for High-power rockets, attaching chute to nose cone with the shock cord means you have the chute pulling 'up' and the cord with rocket weight pulling 'down' essentially making a rip maneuver.

I like to install a dowel into the NC, glued in place along with a toothpick drilled through the NC shoulder and dowel as a pin. This also has a piece of music wire installed into NC with the "feet" bent so that it will not pull out of dowel. Then I attach to the wire loop. Broken way to many of them little plastic tabs.

Attachments

• Little NC mount 002.JPG
    Little NC mount 002.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 109
My general set up is to slide a fishing snap swivel on to the shock cord, then tie the end to the nose cone. As the elastic / rubber is often wider than the loop on the swivel it stays pretty much in place. This makes for easy parachute / stream attach / detach. On a few rockets I've tied the swivel on to the end of the shock cord and the NC rides loose in the middle. If you want to tie the swivel mount you could put a bowline or alpine butterfly knot in the shock cord.

Back