Papering Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanejohnson2002

BT60 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for those of you who paper your fins:

I tried Avery labels on my current build, and it's working very well. My *only* complaint is that the paper seems to have soaked up the primer more than I'd like. It's barely noticeable, but it's there. I used 2 coats of primer (actually Rustoleum 2x gloss white).

So, those of you that get nicer finishes with labels / papering, what/how do you seal the paper? I've heard thinned wood glue, CA, sandable primer, "just prime it until it goes away", etc. I'm going to be doing a metallic finish on my next one so getting a good, non-soaked-in base coat is critical. I realize I'll have to progressively sand a bit to really make it stellar....it's up to that part that I'd like some advice.

To be fair, otherwise this rocket turned out not terrible for a first build. The red nosecone / nozzle look fantastic. I could have smoothed/sanded the filets a bit better, but the glitter white candy paint does a fair job of distracting from major flaws. Of course, *I* still know they're there, and that's the issue.

I've tried the search feature, but I'm not finding the answer I'm specifically looking for.

TIA!

Gloss white doesn't really make for a good primer. Using a good primer like Rustoleum Sandable Filler/Primer will make a barrier between the raw material and the top color coats of paint. This should help with the absorption issue.
I use Avery label paper to paper my fins as well. I usually seal the edges of the fins with thin CA after I apply the label paper, occasionally I will do the entire fin, depending on the size.

Gloss white doesn't really make for a good primer. Using a good primer like Rustoleum Sandable Filler/Primer will make a barrier between the raw material and the top color coats of paint. This should help with the absorption issue.
I use Avery label paper to paper my fins as well. I usually seal the edges of the fins with thin CA after I apply the label paper, occasionally I will do the entire fin, depending on the size.

I made sure to seal the edges, since mine were squared and I didn't wrap around.

About the primer...is it the sandable Automotive?

That's the ticket right there. I have been using all Rust-Oleum paints on my latest rocket, mostly the 2X line and the universal metallics which can be a little tricky. They take a long time to dry.

I also seal the edges with thin CA.

Filler Primer.jpg

-Bob

Thank you guys...I'll give it a shot on the new one when it comes in.

It's amazing how quickly the spraypaint closet fills up off of one, small, level 1 rocket kit....

I seal the edges with Titebond II, although I'm going to experiment with CA also at some point.

I too apply a layer of filler/primer before topcoat. Unlike with other surfaces though, with label paper I'm extremely careful not to sand through the filler/primer. As soon as I see it starting to lighten (show through to the white) I stop. I actually find this to be the most annoying part of papering, since oversanding the filler/primer will scuff up the paper and then you'll need another nice coat to fix it (and then be even more careful the next time). I'm getting better at it, slowly.

Back