Papering Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlin523

Reaction score
Just wondering if papering the sheet of balsa prior to cutting the fins is a good idea. Anyone tried this?

I set up and glue/cover several sheets at a time,
I make all my flat balsa parts from these (laminated) sheets.

That's a thought, Marlin523, but I always glue on the paper after I have cut out the fins. Worth a try your way, though.

MarkII

Just wondering if papering the sheet of balsa prior to cutting the fins is a good idea. Anyone tried this?

Oppps, maybe if I actually read the question I'd be able to answer it better. The thread I referenced only refers to papering pre cut fins. I'm not sure it matters whether you do it before or after. I can't see any advantage either way unless you use full page labels as is mentioned in the thread I referenced. In that case you can save a lot of label pages if you do it after since you can position the fins any way you want. I can generally get low power fins covered with a half sheet of label paper and I save the rest for the next rocket. Covering the whole sheet of balsa would likely mean a full sheet per sheet of balsa.

Thanks for your opinions and input. I've decided it makes more sense to paper AFTER cutting fins to allow for air-foiling. If that is not going to be done, seems to me papering before saves time.

Back