Papering fins, adhesive label paper vs glued on paper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

icyclops

Reaction score
Yup, white glue will work I guess....adds some weight. 3M Spraymount 77 holds tight and is ready to go in a hour or less.....no mess or fuss and you won’t be peeling it off the balsa fin without damage after it dries.Try it and you may just be hooked. I was.

icyclops

Reaction score
True, but it is on the paper only. Spraymount adhesive spray gives you the option to not only spray a coat of adhesive on the paper, but also a coat on the balsa fin too. Put both together and you have a bond that I have never had delaminate. It is very strong and you can not pull it off without damage to both. Plus, an added benefit to using Spraymount, you can use the type of paper thickness and coating you wish and not just what the label paper thickness or type of top coat is. I have used a wide variety of paper stock from gloss coated to thick card stock, and they all stick very well. I find it just gives me more options is all, but both techniques will work no doubt.

The key benefit to label paper I think is the peel and stick easibility, plus no sticky over spray that you can get from spraying adhesives. It can be a mess if you don’t set up a spray area. I have sprayed into a garbage can before :)

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Regular paper is not good, the darn stuff always separates on me and leaves a flopping fin.
You either have to soak it through with thinned glue, or use something like onion skin paper.
You would be surprised at how strong that glued down onion skin really is.
Compared to regular paper that separates.
Just my experience.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't had much success with label paper. Bubbles appear... and then they are so hard to get rid of.

I've had a lot of success with papering with white glue. The secret is to smear the glue to a thin layer, immediately apply to the fin, and then immediately flatten it with a stack of books over wax paper. I usually cut out more than enough paper covers in the event that one gets trashed in the application of glue. Heavier paper/ card stock works better.
Definitely thin coat. I use a hotel key card to squeegee off as much as possible before applying.

Bill S

Reaction score
Interesting observation: While papering the fin for my Executioner, I didn't have any waxed paper; I had grabbed my wife's parchment paper instead, having a mental fart. It actually doesn't stick, PLUS because it gets all wrinkled up in the shape of the fin, I have to suspect its absorbing some of the water from the glue, allowing the glue to dry faster.

I did start putting the covered up fin in a book I don't care about though, to try that out as well. I also learned definitely do both sides of the fin at once, particulary if you have the cardstock wrapped around the rounded front like I did. I screwed up and did one side at a time on a fin, and the front is kind of ugly, not at all like the first fin or the third fin.

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
Reaction score
I did start putting the covered up fin in a book.........
Lot's of talk here about putting the wet papered fin "in" a book? I put it at the bottom, of a stack of books. I've been using photo paper and white glue.. and have had no issues. That being said I always primer before painting and have found the paper really soaks up the primer... which is a good thing imo.

004.JPG

003.JPG000.JPG000a.JPG

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
Reaction score
Gloss of photopaper never has issues with glue or primer?
I'm using matte paper, but to answer your question I haven't had any issues when using the paper shown above.

I also used the same paper to build multi ply fins for the Shooting Star Columbine rocket shown below. I've had good luck with it.

001.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG009.JPG010.JPG001.JPG004.JPG001.JPG

Last edited:

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using matte paper, but to answer your question I haven't had any issues when using the paper shown above.
I've tried using regular printer paper (just looked it up - 75 g/m^2) and higher quality and thicker paper we use for printing color photographs (255 g/m^2).

Thicker paper hides wood grain fully, but produces much heavier fins. This can be a problem with long complex multi-piece sci-fi wings.
Thinner paper can show some of the grain (I glue it with TBII applied to paper, both sides at once), but since I almost always paint over the papered fins, the paint hides the leftover grain traces.

The few times I was printing a design onto paper to be glued to a fin, I always went with the thicker paper.

HTH,
a

heada

Reaction score
Has anyone tried wasi kozo or mulberry paper? Think thin like tracing paper but big fibers like kraft paper. I'd think it'd act alot like fiberglass cloth would.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Regular paper is not good, the darn stuff always separates on me and leaves a flopping fin.
You either have to soak it through with thinned glue, or use something like onion skin paper.
You would be surprised at how strong that glued down onion skin really is.
Compared to regular paper that separates.
Just my experience.
I'm somewhat surprised at your experience. Maybe we're doing things just enough differently... I just papered fins for my current scratch build project. I used regular (20# ?) printer paper. I brushed glue on one side, added paper, did other side. Folded parchament paper around fins and clamped it between two plywood cauls. After an hour - hour and a half, I took the clamp off. I trimmed the paper from the edges and sanded the edges with a finger nail file to remove the last bits of the paper. I then applied thin CA to the edges. The only problems I had were that I cranked the clamp down a bit too hard on one fin and the grain pattern from the caul "printed" onto the paper; the other problem is that glue squeezed out and over the edges. I hate sanding Titebond-type glue, it's gummy.

clamp.jpg

fins.jpg

Sorry, no pics of work in progress. I was too worried about getting everything into the clamps to take pictures. Oh, and the dots on the fin indicate fin position. I don't think it really matters, they're all the same.

Last edited: