Papering fin question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For many things, there are opposites

3rd times the charm vs Bad things come in 3's

I have read multiple times that using wood glue for wooden fins to cardboard tube is stronger than the material. The material will fail before the joint does.

But when we paper a fin (so gluing paper to wood using white Elmer's glue) if you can't wrap the paper over the front edge (perhaps due to the fin shape) we need to seal the edges with CA.

So why isn't this paper/wood joint stronger - as in the material will fail first??

Is is because we use such a thin layer of glue to keep the paper from wrinkling that there is not enough glue to properly soak into the wood/paper fibers?

I typically apply the glue to the wood and squeegee the glue to a thin layer and then apply the paper, burnish it down and then let it dry between weights.

Les,
I think you probably could get away without sealing the edges with CA, based on your technique of burnishing. Try it! [emoji106]

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Last edited:
I use the CA more to harden the edges against damage, and to seal the edge since I usually sand the fins to final shape after papering.

Back