Papered Fin Issue. Help?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm building a DRM with papered fins. I used Avery Trublock self stick labels. I have already papered them and CA'd the edges. Someone in my house set a glass on the table beside it and the glass sweated. The side that was down now has some slight water rippling.

Any ideas how I could fix this? It's a little late to re-paper the side since its CA'd.

I'm building a DRM with papered fins. I used Avery Trublock self stick labels. I have already papered them and CA'd the edges. Someone in my house set a glass on the table beside it and the glass sweated. The side that was down now has some slight water rippling.

Any ideas how I could fix this? It's a little late to re-paper the side since its CA'd.

Seal, sand and fill. Repeat as often as needed.

Seal, sand and fill. Repeat as often as needed.

Ok. Expanding on that idea into detail. If I were to wipe the surface with CA, cover with wax paper, and weight press it, think that would work? I realize it would have to be done really fast in order to get it flat before the CA set. Is it even worth chancing?

Ok. Expanding on that idea into detail. If I were to wipe the surface with CA, cover with wax paper, and weight press it, think that would work? I realize it would have to be done really fast in order to get it flat before the CA set. Is it even worth chancing?

NOPE!!!

Use Minwax's wood hardener.

Could you iron it? Maybe set on a low heat setting, iron out the bumps?

Could you iron it? Maybe set on a low heat setting, iron out the bumps?

Interesting idea. Couldn't hurt to try. Thanks for that one. I iron out old instructions all the time. I see no reason this couldn't work as well.

Interesting idea. Couldn't hurt to try. Thanks for that one. I iron out old instructions all the time. I see no reason this couldn't work as well.

I'm of the other camp... it could hurt to try... Thus you should try to duplicate what you are attempting with some scrap material first, then if it works, do it with the original.

Here's an idea based on your post about CA'ing the paper then getting it flat...

IMG_0193.JPG

I use delrin plates pressed together with a clamp to press flat paper orings (or mis-behaving papered fins) that I've added a layer or two of paper and wood glue for reinforcement. I would use the wax paper idea, use a medium slow cure CA (not the insta-stuff, too quick) and two blocks (or really heavy books) and press them together, clamp (or press in a vise?) and let cure...

hope this helps

fm

BTW, if you want to make some of those clamping plates, here's the link (the stuff can be had cheaper, this is just an example) of where to get the sheet.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23957&catid=439

IIWM, I'd get 12" of the 2" x 3/8" and 6" x 3/8" and get another section of the 3/8" black to cover both. I'd split the 2" wide into 3 pieces and the 6" wide into 2 pieces. Glue the black to the white using a plastic adhesive (Loctite makes a good one), making sure that they are flat together and flat against the table. When done sand the edges. The cool thing about these plates is that wood glues and most epoxy adhesives (including jb weld and most 2 part expanding foam) will not stick to this stuff. I use a sheet of this as a mixing tray; when the glue cures (I leave the mixing/application stick in the middle) I pop the whole thing off and trash it, and use a putty knife to get rid of any stragglers.

Last edited:
I have successfully removed water "bumps" from paper with this method:
If the paper has re-dried and is in good shape, wipe with a damp paper towel.
If the paper is still damp, mist with a misting sprayer until it's damp again.
Clamp under something heavy for 48 hours.
YMMV, obviously. I agree with Jim: Recreate the problem on some scrap and make sure that the method you're going to try will give you the results you want.

After much consideration and thought, I decided to iron the fin. And it worked perfectly. The rocket it just waiting for primer. Dang this rain. But then again, we did have a stage 4 drought.

Depends on the weather. Burn ban caused our last two launches to scrub. We don't normally launch in December due to how close to Christmas it would be. In 2016, we scrubbed 3 launches due to rain and two due to the lack of it. We may launch in two weeks just to help make up for it.

Back