Paper rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I built these paper rockets from Jim's Fliskits site looking for simple projects for the schoolkids that did not get to help launch the Deuces. These seemed more difficult to build than the Estes kit Alpha IIIs. :( :( But were enjoyable for me.:) :) Not sure just what I will do! The deuce (lower case "d") is a really good flyer with several flights allready on A8-3s. The Papernator is still under construction. Has anyone built one and where did you put the launch lug? I was thinking maybe on a fin out from the body so the launch rod would just touch the body at the widest point. thanks

The Midnight Express *is* a fairly complex model to construct, mainly because of the fins.

For an easier free download rocket, check out the FlisKits CAUTION! Rocket Launch In Progress! at: https://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/caution_rocket.htm

It is Skill Level 1 and is much easier to construct. As with the Midnight Express, you can download a decorated version or a blank version to decorate yourself.

hope this helps!
jim

Originally posted by billEblurzz
The Papernator is still under construction. Has anyone built one and where did you put the launch lug? I was thinking maybe on a fin out from the body so the launch rod would just touch the body at the widest point. thanks

That is exactly where I put it on mine and it works well there. Ive sent mine repeatedly in the back yard on A-8's and a streamer. It's getting crunched up, time to build another one. It really is a neat rocket!

Check out the Caution! RLIP that is also a cool bird. It kind of reminds me of a mini Praetor in flight.:cool:
Bob

The ME and the caution rocket are both fun to build. The Caution Rocket Launch in progress is the easier of the two to build.

Here is one large paper rocket I call the INDEXINATOR. Its made from 9 index cards with couplers made from brown paper rolled to fit inside each card. The nosecone is an index card rolled like the Midnight Express with a paper shoulder, and the fins are upscaled Midnight Express fins. These were made from card stock as I didn't have index cards big enough.

The picture is dark, but I hope not to dark.

And a shot in flight. It flew well on a C6-5, but had chute problems as well:( It wasn't a good chute day.....Larry

Oh, its 56-1/2" tall and weighs about 5 ounces

Here's my Papernator. You can see where I placed the launch lug. It seemed to work OK on its two flights. I used a parachute because of all the noseweight and the delicate fins.

I'm pretty nuts about paper rocketry - and I thought I'd post my latest - my re-design of my 10.5" Saturn V. It is flyable now - I had to re-design where the nose separated and changed the design quite a bit. I also completely re-drew the graphics, so I think this one is pretty accurate for a semi-scale model. Believe it or not, rocksim says its stable with only the tiny fins - it clocks in at 0.9 oz. Rocksim says it should do about 400 feet on a 1/2A3-2T. If the weather cooperates Sunday, I'm going to try it.

Greg

Whoa, Greg thats made outta paper?!?

If that flys stable, your gonna have to post a download with instructions for that, it looks amazing!

It goes on 13mm motors?

Phil

That looks really cool !

More , more , and wheres the vids ...... and the "how to" ?

:D

Paul

Originally posted by WiK
Whoa, Greg thats made outta paper?!?

If that flys stable, your gonna have to post a download with instructions for that, it looks amazing!

It goes on 13mm motors?

Phil

Yup - it's printed on 110# cardstock. Rocksim says it's stable, so we'll see. And yes, it runs on 13mm motors. I'm actually thinking of a 6mm (micromax) downscale, too. ;)

Unfortunately, the weather isn't looking good for a Sunday launch - T-storms moving through the area all day, and they're not forcast to stop until sometime tomorrow, then it's supposed to go windy. Ah well, what do we expect for March in the Ohio River Valley?

Greg

OK, if you thought the Mini-SaturnV was cool, these two rockets were also designed on the computer and built from 110# cardstock. They're also ready to fly on the next good flying day.

Actually, as far as my designs are concerned, I'm thinking of selling them for a nominal fee (approx $5 each) and selling them as downloadable pdf files, so you can buy one and build as many as you like. They are built entirely from materials at hand and use absolutely no model rocket parts in their construction. I think $5 for a bird like the F36 Phoenix on the right is a pretty good deal, considering that you can built it as many times as you like for the cost of the paper and ink.

Whatcha think?

Greg

Well, I got to fly my cardstock rockets today - some successes and some "back to the drawing board" moments.

First problem was the digital camera - turns out we left the film card back at the house, so no pictures! :(

Flew the small Saturn V twice - flew perfectly both flights. Didn't check the altitude, but it got up high enough for me - and my Mom (I took Dad flying for Father's Day, and Mom tagged along to watch) really loved this one. A really sweet flyer.

I flew the small one I called the lemon drop - it is a 13mm powered featherweight about the size of a Mosquito - it flew twice as well, and performed as expected.

Then came the Prism - the rainbow colored rocket in the photo in the above post. The rocket flew well, but at ejection it blew out a side seam. It recovered ok, so it'll fly again with a minor repair. I may do a redesign with a stuffer tube though.

Finally, the Phoenix flew - that's the space fighter in the photo next to the Prism. Boost was good, but the chute tangled with the shock cord and never made it out of the tube - she hit hard and shredded the front part. After a careful examination, though, I think I can replace the front section and try again. I don't think this is a flawed design, just a recovery failure. I'll fix it and try again. (photo of the mangled remains enclosed!)

Greg

Those are some nice looking rockets AND PAPER TOO! I'll be doing my first paper rocs real soon, just go the 110# card stock a few days ago.

Do you use standard finishing techniques; prime, sand, paint (krylon...)... the repeat...?

On my small paper cardstock models, I merely print the patterns on my inkjet, and then cover with a clearcoat (3 coats) to help seal them. Ive done this on both free paper model conversions and Art Applewhite saucers. Unfortunately, even with several coats you need to keep them out of the rain...and puddles.

On my 8" dia x 6 ft paper model, I did a mix of priming/painting (no sanding) and coloring with markers. I want to do a 5" x ~6' upscale of a Merc Redstone. After seeing the SpRocketry on the Paper V2 (which was at least partially motivated by my big papaer model), I want to have a print shop print the outer paper wraps.

Originally posted by gpoehlein
OK, if you thought the Mini-SaturnV was cool, these two rockets were also designed on the computer and built from 110# cardstock. They're also ready to fly on the next good flying day.

Actually, as far as my designs are concerned, I'm thinking of selling them for a nominal fee (approx $5 each) and selling them as downloadable pdf files, so you can buy one and build as many as you like. They are built entirely from materials at hand and use absolutely no model rocket parts in their construction. I think $5 for a bird like the F36 Phoenix on the right is a pretty good deal, considering that you can built it as many times as you like for the cost of the paper and ink.

Whatcha think?

Greg

I'd say: Go for it! They really look nice, especially that Saturn. With people paying just one time and being able to print out and make as many as they want, it would be a bargain. You ought to make a little escape tower to put on the top of the Saturn for display;)

If you decide to print the Midnight Express or deuce paper rockets from the Fliskit site, make sure you don't have the "shrink large pages" option set on Acrobat.

I did and when it came time to glue the body tube, it was too small for the 18mm engines:(

I had already made the fins and nose cone and I didn't want to just scrap it so I rolled a 13mm tube and took a couple of strips of cardstock and rolled them around the motor tube until it was a snug fit in the body.

So I now have a 13mm Midnight Express:D

I then made another in the deuce markings only the correct size.

The performance was surprising good on a A8-3 and I never thought it would get it into the woods so quickly :mad:

So, I'll just have to make another. I figure it cost about $0.15 to make, most of it the cost of the shock cord.

I have the entire SEMROC line sitting on my shelf to build, but I have had the itch to build another Midnight Express. I lost the last one to a Rocket Eating Tree after flying it on a C-6. Man what an awesome flight!

Originally posted by gpoehlein

Whatcha think?

Greg

While I am certainly fond of the free paper rockets from Flis Kits, that is not their main line of rockets. Just a free gift we all love and don't take for granted! (thanks Jim!)

It seems paper rockets is sort of a passion of yours, and possibly your main product. Nothing wrong with making cash from your designs and time spent. The more rocket vendors the better!

5 Bucks is definately reasonable. I say go for it and good luck. I always love to see people profiting from doing something they love. That is the ultimate job!

I am trying to do the same as well. I do web sites dirt cheap because it's a hobby for me, and I don't depend on it for a living. I swear I can't give the dang things away. I guess people dont realize what they would pay for something when it's someone's livelyhood and not their hobby.

nomo

I built the paper 'de deuce' rocket. first time making a paper rocket. i liked the idea that i did the whole thing from body tube to fins. fins took a little work but turned out fine. i did not have any clay around so when he was not looking I took a chunk of my sons old playdough and sealed it into the nose cone.
named her ' The Price is Right'.
when it was launched at the monthly launch many looked and watched when it was stated it cost a whole 20 cents to build.
flew great with just a little bit of an arc.

thanks jim i never would have attempted a paper rocket without seeing it on Fliskits.

hmm now on to the ACME

very cool. I am very pleased with how well our paper rockets have been received. The Midnight Express and the CAUTION rocket have flown all over the world and have been so *very* well received. Great reviews too.

Has anyone built the MMX saucers we also have in there?

Last Sunday the Vikings Rocket Society (NAR Section 203, Richmond Va) had our monthly session.

I won the Set Duration contest. Target duration time was 35 seconds, and I achieved 33.

The rocket? Der Midnacht Express.

Thanks Jim, for offering up a contest winner! :p

oh very kewl :D It's milestones like this that I hope to have time to put on the site with the product :)

Originally posted by jflis

For an easier free download rocket, check out the FlisKits CAUTION! Rocket Launch In Progress! at: https://fliskits.com/products/rocket...tion_rocket.htm

If you decide to build this, when it comes time to roll the motor tube and laminate the fins, use a GLUE STICK.

It is far superior to white glue for this. The fins won't warp and you have several seconds to line everything up without it grabbing. I used a glue stick for general construction.

I used white glue for things that required more strength like: engine block, nose cone shoulder, fins onto body, motor tube into body tube, shock cord mount.

Try it!

Here is my latest paper rocket.

I kind of slapped it together because it wasn't supposed to be a flying model so I thought I would leave off all the details while testing.

If it goes ok, I'll probably make another and add the details.

Here it is beside a Mosquito so you can judge size.

Oh, I forgot... It's made for 13mm motors.

Oh, now that's cool.
I've been wanting to do a conical one myself, but haven't yet.
I saw one at a launch a while back that looked like the upper part of a Mercury Redstone stretched out into a cone shape. It was about 8" tall and flew on 18mm motors. I can't remember what motor he used, but it flew great.

How does yours recover?

Tim

Bob, that roc is pretty cool. How well does it fly? and, um... are plans available?

Back