paper model conversions

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by rstaff3, Feb 9, 2003.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 9, 2003 #1

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

After the discussion of a paper LEM module in the PMC thread, I decided to post a couple of pics of two paper models that I have converted. They have not flown yet, but I decided to post them anyway. This post will be on the Airship R-100 dirigible by Currell Graphics and the other model will be covered in the next post.

This model is a whopping 2.25" in diameter and 11" long; I haven't weighed it yet. I built it hastily in front of the TV and didn't plan so well. It doesn't have a recovery system and with the plastic fins and nose weight it is not exactly feather weight. I can use 13mm or MMX motors, and plan to fly it on the latter. I hope it clears the launch rod.

If it half-way works, I'll submit an EMRR review to give my impression of the Currell plan. I may build another copy and include a nose cone section and streamer.

2. Feb 9, 2003 #2

Matt

Matt

Matt

that thing flys @$#^% *&#%

Post edited by moderator on 2/9/2003

3. Feb 9, 2003 #3

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

I have been half-way wanting to build a paper XL-5 model ever since I built my 29mm version. So I did!

It is about 6.5" long and conveniently a BT-5 tube fit nicely. It fit perfectly at the nose-cone end and at the rear transition, which I modified slightly from the paper version. I added enough nose weight to match the CG of my larger version. I also haven't weighed this one.

Someone should build that LEM and another person should build the paper Columbia model!

4. Feb 9, 2003 #4

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut TRF Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

Dick:
    where did you find these paper models? I really like the XL5 and would like to build one.

Matt:
    Lots of kids use this forum, Please watch your language.

5. Feb 9, 2003 #5

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

The links to the plans are in the posts above (underlined text). I just checked and the site with the XL-5 seems to be down. I have the files and will mail it to you. It's about 600kB and is in PDF.

...just sent it...

6. Feb 10, 2003 #6

SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

Could I get a copy of the XL-5 too?

7. Feb 10, 2003 #7

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

The site is back up so all can grab the plan. The link is in my earlier post. If it by any chance it is inaccessible again when you try, I'll be glad to mail you a copy.

Once construction comment. All the fiins are '3-D' structures. These go together nicely, except for the vertical stabilizers on the ends of the wings. These tend to flatten, with only the back end being supported by a cut-out (you will see this once you start building). This happened to some degree on both of mine. I suggest you custom cut a long tapered 'V' section from the card stock, and glue it to the middle of one stabilizer to act as a standoff between the two sides.

This is a very impressive model. The detailing is tiny and takes some fine work. Unlike my dirigible model, I sat at a table, in good lighting, and had no problem cutting the small items.

Enjoy!

8. Feb 10, 2003 #8

dtomko

dtomko

dtomko

Dick,
    The models look great, especially the XL-5. Have you tried the N-1 from Currell? That would seem to be a natural for flying. It's 1/144 scale, but I'm sure could easily be resized to 1/100 to go with the Estes Saturn V.
    Drew Tomko

9. Feb 10, 2003 #9

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

Drew,

Haven't tried the N-1 yet. These are my first two attempts at paper models, other than my huge Grand Whazoo. Maybe after these fly (or don't as the case may be) I'll give some others a shot.

10. Feb 10, 2003 #10

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut TRF Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

Very Neet stuff Dick!
    Thanks for the link, I've seen a few other cardstock models, As soon as I run across them again I'll post the links. Humm this could be another whole series of rockets:D remember the Centuri Vulcan, and X-24 bug... Quest reissued the X-24 I wonder what happened to the Vulcan?
    I'll look at the N-1, after I do a couple of the others, Very Cool stuff.

11. Feb 10, 2003 #11

dtomko

dtomko

dtomko

12. Feb 10, 2003 #12

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

In another post someone suggested a smilie of arched fingers to accompany the term "Exxxxcelent!". I also want one to convey the gurgle Homer J gives i.e. 'beeeeer...aaaaaaglh'. I want to add it after I repeat the word Redstone! Thanks drew!

And here are some links EMRR sent me. Sorry about not converting the links - my bad.

http://members.tripod.com/HokusPokus_2/paperrockets.html

http://www.groeg.de/puzzles/rocket.html <----- air powered

http://www.nar.org//NARTS/papertig.gif

http://www.modelminutes.com/frame-A.html <----- click on FREE (i just built this one today!)

http://nmwg.cap.gov/santafe/Activities/

http://fliskits.com/products/free_stuff.htm <----- I built this one on the weekend

13. Feb 12, 2003 #13

rstaff3

rstaff3

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer

14. Feb 12, 2003 #14

rocman

rocman

rocman