Paper fairing shroud paper stock? Honest John, Camroc Carrier

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramper Al

Reaction score
Quick question for anyone who has put together either of there older Estes kits, or another utilizing a paper fairing shroud as specified. It tapers up from a narrow body tube to a wider nosecone or payload section (or Camroc). Did your kit contain somewhat heavy paper stock (like shock cord mount) for this shroud? Or ordinary lightweight paper (like instructions)? I built my Camroc carrier today and just used plain paper from my printer to build this cone shroud piece, and now I am wondering if it will be durable enough. Maybe something like manilla folder thickness would be better? I haven't built the Honest John yet, but its shroud looks to be quite similar. Thanks!

Heavier paper is much better for transitions and cones. 110 lb. cardstock is what I generally use. The Georgia Pacific brand you can find at Walmart works quite well.

the paper shrouds in the Estes/Centuri models used cardstock. You can use 110# (like index cards) and it is available from Wal Mart.

EDIT: great minds... :)

I have an original honest John from the 70s. I just measured the thickness at about .012", paper is about .003. I'll post a pic when I can, but mine didn't hold up well, although I don't remember what happened to it.

As others have mentioned Heavier Cardstock is better then thinner 50 or 67lb. 110lb for smaller diameter models, I use a lot of standard File folder for larger Shrouds (BT-60 and Up) as well as kit package cards. Hope this helps.

Here's the pic I promised. This is the original piece of heavier than paper card stock. Like I say, I don't remember what happened to it, but I cut it short at one point so the nosecone would fit. I have no idea how many times this has been thrown into the sky.

Back