Palomar Knot for Attaching Shock Cord to Snap Swivel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried using the “Palomar” fishing knot for attaching a kevlar shock cord to a snap swivel. I like it.

It is easy to tie. The knot is big but not too big. It seems strong. It is easy to glue the tag end down flat with a drop of wood glue.

As I practiced the Palomar knot, I found that the trick is to leave the overhand knot you create in the second step big and loose until the final step when you tighten up the Palomar knot.

Pics:

C2345155-D7BC-4D72-89E0-F3EBFF404D5F.jpeg

D0FFF820-3E86-4579-8AF5-EADA7F57F472.jpeg

I've seen that knot and I've thought about trying it. One advantage is it's easy for me to remember.

Ex Navy guy here....

Knot strength is often described by how strong it is vs. the strength of the line used. Palomar is one of the few knots that is considered a "100%" knot - ie, the strength of the knot is equal to the strength of the line. There are knots that are stronger, but they are just a waste of line (use more line than necessary)

My favorite "100%" knot is the Trilene. It's as strong as the Palomar, easier to learn, and at least for me, I believe looks better when finished.

1663637522620.png

trilene-knot-tutorial.jpg

Attachments

• trileneknot.png
    trileneknot.png
    18 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The trilene knot was what we had to learn when spiderwire fishing line came out - old knots would not work.

I'd suggest using a locking swivel for much added strength

View attachment 538336
Those are 2 good points. Some knots work better than others for certain types of line. I've noticed with my thin kevlar shock cords that a normal bowline never gets really tight and could untie itself with some handling. I've tried a double bowline and it seems to work a bit better, but typically I put a small dab of Titebond II on the outside of the knot.
I also recommend the locking swivels. I've had good luck with normal swivels for a long time, then I had a couple of failures recently. I searched and bought some like these Ocean Cat brand on ebay. Rather than a package of generic snap swivels from Walmart for less than a dollar, these are more like $0.15 to $0.25 each, but the manufacturer does provide a pull capacity for each size. They're only a bit longer than the generic ones I was using from Walmart, but the wire is nearly twice the diameter. IIRC then ones I bought are rated at just over 50# capacity.
1663724277436.png

Ex Navy guy here....

Knot strength is often described by how strong it is vs. the strength of the line used. Palomar is one of the few knots that is considered a "100%" knot - ie, the strength of the knot is equal to the strength of the line. There are knots that are stronger, but they are just a waste of line (use more line than necessary)

My favorite "100%" knot is the Trilene. It's as strong as the Palomar, easier to learn, and at least for me, I believe looks better when finished.

View attachment 538315

View attachment 538318

That's my go to knot and works great for "Trilene" fishing line, that is slippery. Kevlar isn't slippery, well, at least the Kevlar I use isn't.

In my experience, it doesn't work well with Kevlar because of all the friction those extra wraps make, the Kevlar doesn't slide on itself, and it just doesn't seem to make a nice tight knot.

1663851664937.png

Thanks @brockrwood ... I'll have to give "The Palomar" a try.

https://www.animatedknots.com/palomar-knot

Last edited:
Back