Painting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the best method to use to cover that spiral wrap line on unpainted rocket kits? I have used primers and many coats of paint but that just adds weight.

Filling spirals has been discussed here.... "a lot". ;)

Here is some info on using Carpenter's Wood Filler: https://www.nar.org/educational-resources/model-rocket-building-techniques/filling-seams-balsa/

Also check Chris Michielssen's blog: http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/Filling Seams

Some folks do just us a *lot* of primer to do it, usually some variety of filler/primer which has a lot of solids and is able to fill gaps more effectively. The key to this approach, though, is that you are going to sand off the majority of the primer, and mainly leave it in the seams. The end result is that you haven't really added very much weight at all.

We really need some sort of FAQ to cover this stuff.

Sorry Captain I notice you’re in the UK so those products I posted may not be available. The Bondo is lacquer based and the Elmers is water. Hopefully you’ve got something similar. :)

spackling compound can also be used, it sands very easily, but if you do a search for spirals, then you're still busy reading all of the previous stuff on here

Damn Ken, I think you're supposed to do that BEFORE you glue the fins on :)
Nah, after fins are attached, there's less spirals to fill! ;)

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

I use Rustoleum gray primer and spray the tube. Then the old elbow grease and sand off most of leaving just the spiral filling. Sadly it typically takes two to three coats to fill it in. I've tried the Elmers method and also spackling once and it was difficult for me to get it reasonably smooth on the spiral when applying it which made the sanding nasty and also would sometimes go into the tubes finish roughing up some areas. I went back to the Rustoleum gray primer.

I use Krylon gray filler/primer, and just spray the spirals, not the entire tube. Less sanding. Two quick applications, sanding after each one, then a third application on the entire tube and fins, sand, and move on to the top coats.

My Level 1 rocket’s build thread basically turned into a spiral filling thread. Suffice it to say that various putty-like products utterly failed to satisfy me, so I just threw up my hands and went for the spray primer. No thinning, no sealing, no finger/putty knife/credit card smoothing. Spray can just goes psssshhhh!

Of course, I’m not finished yet, and the pessimistic side of me thinks that God will decide to play games with me and have that fail in the same way the putties did, but if I had a cooler head I’d say that that’s not likely.

Back