Painting top half of a nosecone.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRIFFIN

Reaction score
I have a 5'' loc V2 and neew to paint just the top half of the nosecone.....I can't figure out a good way to mask it off straight.

I remember when I was a kid and built an estes Phoenix missle, It came with a paper template that wraped around the tip of the nose......thats what I need just ALOT bigger.

Anyone got any helpful tips.....how 'bout you Mark (stickershock)

Make yourself a paper transition (there are pattern generators online if you can't figure it out) with a forward diameter to fit the NC size you want. (Make the transition long enough to cover the aft end of the NC) This might take a little trial-n-error until you find the transition size you want, but you can pull the paper transition snug to the surface by gently pulling it aft.

The first spray should be with clear, and around the edge of the paper, to seal the edge of your paper masking and to stop the paint from running underneath. Then spray the front half of the NC with color

Use a tube down over the tip.

Great idea. thanks.

I had a section of 4" BT and an extra centering ring to help align the tube. That worked great. I wraped the cone in tape, slipped on the tube and marked it with a pencil. then removed the tape and transfered that to paper for a template.

Thanks again!!

a couple silver pinstripes, a few coats of clear, then she'll be done!

cone 027.jpg

Griffin,

Are you in Carol Stream, IL? If so, you should come down to Thunderstruck 2010 to fly this (and any others).

-Tim

(Yes C/S Illinois) I might have to do that. I have only been in this for about 8 months so I dont know about all the launches. The only big launch I have been to was midwest power 7. I did my L1 cert there with a 244% upscale scratch redmax.

Last edited:
nice looking V2. where did you get the scheme from, looks to be like the early white sands scheme, as number 2 and 3 were both yellow and black, but no 3 had an all yellow top, and no 2 had more black on the base. each side was half black/yellow. actually looking at your last picture, it probably is Number 2
any chance of you posting a link to the scheme you used or a book ref?

my 4 inch V2 got painted up to the white sands number 3 which had some art work on it, excesiorrocketry sells the decals.

Last edited:
https://www.postwarv2.com/

Thats the site and just go to "paint schemes" from the home page. I also have a 4" version thats still in primer. I have had a hard time getting it to fly straight (i had to add alot more nose weight than loc said was needed) I was going to do that one in camo but I love the yellow on black. I may just have to do another number, Maybe #3.

What kind of luck have you had with your launches of your 4" and what engines?

https://www.postwarv2.com/

Thats the site and just go to "paint schemes" from the home page. I also have a 4" version thats still in primer. I have had a hard time getting it to fly straight (i had to add alot more nose weight than loc said was needed) I was going to do that one in camo but I love the yellow on black. I may just have to do another number, Maybe #3.

What kind of luck have you had with your launches of your 4" and what engines?

first flight this sunday -weather permitting! looking at a H128, or H123.
mine is a public enemy kit, there's a build thread on the hpr board.

Oh yea I read that. Well good luck......if in doubt.....add nose weight!!!

nice, and what a shine -Future?

what motor is it's maiden flight - will it be your level two bird?

The shine is just duplicolor clear coat (rattle can) paint........about 9 coats. The silver pinstripe around the cone and the body is automotive pinstripe tape. I covered the rocket in clear untill I could not feel the stripe. sanding between coats (wet) with 1000 grit .

.....oh yea. This will be L2 bird with J350W for that attempt.

Final pic.

Nice looking rocket.What steps did you do to finish it.like filling in spirals and stuff like that.Did you fill the really shallow spirals if you did how?I tried to fill the shallow spirals on my LOC Expediter and it did not work.Thanks

Nice looking rocket.What steps did you do to finish it.like filling in spirals and stuff like that.Did you fill the really shallow spirals if you did how?I tried to fill the shallow spirals on my LOC Expediter and it did not work.Thanks

I filled the spirals with 'white putty" after sanding and priming, a few of the spirals were still visable. I have found that the Duplicolor "high build formula" primer does a great job at filling the excess (a friend of mine built a Lil'nuke and didnt even use putty, and with a few coats of the primer the spirals are 99% gone)

I also used a total of about 6 full cand of paint on the V2. I think the best thing is the high build primer, It also sands very well and wont clog up the sandpaper. Hope that helps.

I filled the spirals with 'white putty" after sanding and priming, a few of the spirals were still visable. I have found that the Duplicolor "high build formula" primer does a great job at filling the excess (a friend of mine built a Lil'nuke and didnt even use putty, and with a few coats of the primer the spirals are 99% gone)

I also used a total of about 6 full cand of paint on the V2. I think the best thing is the high build primer, It also sands very well and wont clog up the sandpaper. Hope that helps.

What brand is the white putty?Is it like bondo?How many cans of primer did you use?Alex

What brand is the white putty?Is it like bondo?How many cans of primer did you use?Alex

I don't remember how many coats....I just used all of 2 full cans (4-5 light coats and 1-2 heavier coats??) the putty is Squadron products "white putty" I have heard of many other types used like "spot putty" I have only used this stuff and it seems to work fine. I only use it because its what the hobby shop had at the time. I would think any type of putty would work. Just remember the more you put on......the more you will be sanding off.

Back