Painting Scales on My Upscale Pemberton Kraken

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyAMC

Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of construction for my Level III cert "Kracken-Up". In an effort to do justice to the name, and Layne's original design, I would like to add scales to the paint scheme. With no airbrushing experience I'm soliciting suggestions on how to add scales.

I've thought about overspraying fish net, masking, etc. I'm just stumped.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Marty, most excellent rocket you've got there!

Painting scales with, or without, an airbrush uses the same principle.

Prime and then spray the base coat on. Then create both a negative and postive template (long half circle). Hold the negative template and if you want sharp lines hold it close, softer lines farther away. You can later accent with a dark line - handpainted or masked.

Another alternative, but far more expensive is to buy Frisket, wrap it in layers, then cut, spray and remove up the model.

Finally, you could go to a local vinyl shop and have them make a body wrap for you given dimensions of the rocket. Paint the fins/nc a solid color and then do the rest with a wrap.

I'd also suggest going to the local library and look up "airbrush". You'll find books on various techniques.

Congrats on your L3 attempt as well.

Laying on the workbench. I need to finish shaping the nose cone with bondo, cover with fiberglass, cut the canard slots, epoxy them in, then lay in the fillets. Follow up with paint.

Thanks for the advise Troy. I've been doing some research online about airbrushing. I'm sure I can get the hang of it, just never done it before. I'll keep studying. I hadn't thought about the wrap but it's an option although I prefer paint.

Of course squids (kraken) don't have scales :rolleyes: ;) I did a sort of squid-like rocket once. Painted a lite pink base and then spattered black and white on it to get a mottled look.

Last edited:
Very cool rocket,

If you like, I can cut Paint masks for you.

tell me how big the rocket is (circumference and height you need scales) and
the approx size you want the scales to be. Also if you want the outline part or the inline part to be removed (thats the part that will allow paint to hit the rocket.

the mask I cut will apply like a large decal, then you airbrush or even rattle can the whole thing. when dry you peel it off. Waa Laa scales.

Heres a couple I have done before..

:D

Mark

scales preview.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool rocket,

If you like, I can cut Paint masks for you.

tell me how big the rocket is (circumference and height you need scales) and
the approx size you want the scales to be. Also if you want the outline part or the inline part to be removed (thats the part that will allow paint to hit the rocket.

the mask I cut will apply like a large decal, then you airbrush or even rattle can the whole thing. when dry you peel it off. Waa Laa scales.

Heres a couple I have done before..

Mark

You may want to invite a few friends over for pizza and beer and have a masking removing party if you go this route... On that big model that could be a whole lotta scales!:eek:

WOW Marty, that is way groovy upscale!
You should share the details of that beast with everyone.

There is one idea for a paint scheme that I haven't had time to try out. Paint squid eyes on the NC below the squidly canards and run tentacles down the BT.

Whatever paint job you go with, it is gonna' rock.

You may want to invite a few friends over for pizza and beer and have a masking removing party if you go this route... On that big model that could be a whole lotta scales!:eek:

I dont have to worry about that part I just make them :D So im thinking about 1/8 inch each should do fine LOL.

Of course if you do the negative then I have to do all the hard work (pulling the scales off and leaving the "outlines")

Oh and I have to agree Very high on the Cool factor, no matter how its painted

Thanks Mark and Layne.

Good point falingtrea. Really don't know why scales came to mind. I like Layne's idea of painting squid eyes and tentacles. Unfortunately, I have no talent for detail painting. I can do a good job with rattle cans and solid colors but anything beyond that exceeds my capability. My daughter is a college student studying design, I may offer the rocket to her and her freinds to paint (within reason).

Mark, I will be contacting you eventually about a "Kracken-Up" decal suitable for this 10 inch "squid".

I have seen a scale like pattern done with fish net pantyhose streched tightly ofer the object being painted the trick is finding pantyhose that big...maybe a plus size store like "Torrid" oh, and once you start painting you CAN NOT move the hose untill the paint is dry. Probably not going to work on this rocket but good to know in the future.

I have seen a scale like pattern done with fish net pantyhose streched tightly ofer the object being painted the trick is finding pantyhose that big...maybe a plus size store like "Torrid" oh, and once you start painting you CAN NOT move the hose untill the paint is dry. Probably not going to work on this rocket but good to know in the future.

There was a rocket at ST2009 that used a version of this method, but it can be upscaled to your needs. They used fishing net stretched over the BT and it came out great.

Back