Painting Rubber (OT)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llickteig1

KLOUDBusters Chief Logistician
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is off-topic, but you guys are so broadly skilled and experienced, I thought I would see if anyone can help me ...

My daughter has a project where she needs to paint some soft rubber trinkets with red paint. I have used Rustoleum Painter's Touch for all my rocketry projects for 4+ years with 100% satisfaction. HOWEVER, when I use Painter's Touch on these trinkets, it never dries. It has stayed tacky for over a week. I had similar results whether painting directly on the rubber with primer or topcoat. Neither the primer nor the topcoat cured to a non-sticky finish.

Any ideas? I don't know what kind of rubber these things are. I'm assuming there is some incompatibility between the rubber and the paint solvent.

What to do? --Lance.

Just a thought

There is a Krylon formula called "Fusion" designed for better adherence to plastics. Maybe that will work.

Originally posted by llickteig1
This is off-topic, but you guys are so broadly skilled and experienced, I thought I would see if anyone can help me ...

My daughter has a project where she needs to paint some soft rubber trinkets with red paint. I have used Rustoleum Painter's Touch for all my rocketry projects for 4+ years with 100% satisfaction. HOWEVER, when I use Painter's Touch on these trinkets, it never dries. It has stayed tacky for over a week. I had similar results whether painting directly on the rubber with primer or topcoat. Neither the primer nor the topcoat cured to a non-sticky finish.

Any ideas? I don't know what kind of rubber these things are. I'm assuming there is some incompatibility between the rubber and the paint solvent.

What to do? --Lance.

Rustoleum's new plastic primer as a first coat?
You could call their customer service number and ask them. It's on the can.

Back