Painting over microscale question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana

Reaction score
What kinds of clearcoat can I use over Microscale Liquid Decal Film (MI-12)?

I usually clearcoat with Testors lacquer or Krylon enamel. Any experience?

Indiana why would you want to?
Microscale decal film is all the protective coating needed. I'd suggest after your decal clear a couple coats of Nu-finish polymer with Much better protect your models paint job and decals then any other rattle can clear product you'll be about to find.
ALL rattle can clear become brittle as they age, and with the possible exception of Krylon UV resistant Clear #1305 Every darn one yellows badly within a very short time, (months rather then years) in some cases.

I stopped clearcoating models several years ago. it's simply not a good idea.

Future floor wax here. I like it because it actually forms a barrier and toughens things up a bit.

Learned this trip back in the USAF. After a spit-shine, when we still did those, before patent leather, we'd put Future Floor Wax on them - to keep the shine going and prevent scuffs. Works the same on rockets. Of course, I never spit-shined a rocket. ;)

Future is ok also:
I'm not all that wild about it only because on a few of my models it seems to stay somewhat sticky, collection dust and dirt in hotter weather?? Not sure if that was something I did or an effect of the material itself.
Does do a fine job, and is removable, renewable over time.

What kinds of clearcoat can I use over Microscale Liquid Decal Film (MI-12)?

I usually clearcoat with Testors lacquer or Krylon enamel. Any experience?

I've used Testors and Tamiya clear coats, in addition to Future of course, without even a hint of a reaction. The Tamiya stuff will craze bare styrene like the old Krylon used to so it is pretty aggressive.

I've used both testors and krylon over them.light coats are always a good idea ofcourse.

I can't find Future anywhere, but I can find Pledge with Future. Is it the same stuff? I've used it on rockets (and my kitchen floor) with good results.

Pledge.jpg

Back