Painting options

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Over the many years of building rockets it seems most every rocket I build I always put a decent gloss paint job including my 3FNC no matter the size, but for the amount of time I'm spending for that primo finish I'm getting to the point where it's not worth it because the amount of abuse each rocket goes through. Heck I dont even upgrade the decals. So I decided to paint the majority of each rocket with flat colors mainly flat black and accent the nose cone and fins with gloss colors. The only exception to the rule would be scaled rockets, which would receive a exceptionally nice paint job and new decals. Flat paints and high visibility paint is very forgiving. No need to worry about gloss or flowing the paint and with flat black it covers everything. I have a Sumo I'm considering flat black with a gloss pattern or just just a gloss nice cone and fins. What do some of you think?

I assume that mine will be lost/damaged/destroyed on a regular basis, plus I'm just not that good at painting.

My goal is to create the equivalent of a "twenty footer" in auto parlance (a car that looks good from 20 feet away, but upon close inspection is revealed to be less than pristine).

Go with whatever works for you.

The nice thing about a lot of hobbies is that " there is no wrong answer ". So your flat black will look very nice, I would go with very bright accent colors, neons, or some metal flakes. Myself, I like a gloss coat to both look good and to protect the rocket. Not only the decals but it is much easier to repair clear coat than paint.

The nice thing about a lot of hobbies is that " there is no wrong answer ". So your flat black will look very nice, I would go with very bright accent colors, neons, or some metal flakes. Myself, I like a gloss coat to both look good and to protect the rocket. Not only the decals but it is much easier to repair clear coat than paint.
Very true. IDK I painted my last Sumo really sweet and second flight lawn dart / core sample. I spent a lot of time and money just on the paint scheme. Oh believe me I'm tempted to laid down an insane paint job. Thats why my rockets stay in primer phase so I can torture myself over how I should paint them.

Similar problem... I used to build model cars, ships and won a few contests for work which included detailed paint jobs. Skip forward a few decades and I think I should do the same with my rockets but then lose one or watch it dangle from a tree for the better part of a year or it takes a core sample and I think why bother. Painted a NCR Hobgoblin like my Dad's '57 Buick in White and Teal - pin stripes and the 2nd flight it self-immolated, which as my Dad pointed out was the same fate as his car.

I figure I can add all the details I want to my plastic model builds. On my flying models.....airplanes and rockets I just want them to look clean. I really enjoy KISS and old time rocket building techniques. Here is my latest build, the Goblin painted orange. I brushed on 2 coats of Brodak sealer, sanded then painted top coats no primer, no filling of spirals. First day, sealed balsa and built rocket. Next day, shot top coat no primer. Next day, masked sprayed black. 2 hours after the black was sprayed, I added decals. Just know I used old BAR Krylon Acrylic Lacquer paints, not the slow dry times enamel.

Attachments

• DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0080.JPG
    DSC_0080.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0071.JPG
    DSC_0071.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 36
I figure I can add all the details I want to my plastic model builds. On my flying models.....airplanes and rockets I just want them to look clean. I really enjoy KISS and old time rocket building techniques. Here is my latest build, the Goblin painted orange. I brushed on 2 coats of Brodak sealer, sanded then painted top coats no primer, no filling of spirals. First day, sealed balsa and built rocket. Next day, shot top coat no primer. Next day, masked sprayed black. 2 hours after the black was sprayed, I added decals. Just know I used old BAR Krylon Acrylic Lacquer paints, not the slow dry times enamel.
I just think you did an awesome job on this!!! I saw this is one of your previous threads. I love the color!!

Real quick question. Can you use the Brodak sealer on other woods such as ply or is specifically design for balsa?

:Looks perfect, I think everyone on this forum should look at this.. It is meant to fly and as stated: You can lose it, it can lawn dart or CATO.......

Next day, masked sprayed black. 2 hours after the black was sprayed, I added decals. Just know I used old BAR Krylon Acrylic Lacquer paints, not the slow dry times enamel.
Fun fact, Henry Ford said you could order any version of the Model A but they all have to be black because that color dries the fastest so they can increase the production line.

Mylar tape and Trim Monokote (or regular Monokote if you have the skills and tools) are other options. Nose cones (unless perfectly conical) are tricky because of their compound curves, but tubes and flat fins are great, and you don’t need sanding or spiral filling.5B7672FD-9BBE-4332-B7DB-482904845FF0.jpeg

Afterburners-Can you post a picture or 2 of Rockets with flat paint and gloss nose cones and fins. I think you are right, the gloss on fins/nose with give a certain pop against flat rocket body.

Mixtures of gloss and flat can be really interesting if done tastefully.

Someone here (sorry don't remember who, nor have a link) once did flat black paint with gloss black vinyl lettering, looked really cool.

... So I decided to paint the majority of each rocket with flat colors mainly flat black and accent the nose cone and fins with gloss colors. The only exception to the rule would be scaled rockets, which would receive a exceptionally nice paint job and new decals. Flat paints and high visibility paint is very forgiving. No need to worry about gloss or flowing the paint and with flat black it covers everything. I have a Sumo I'm considering flat black with a gloss pattern or just just a gloss nice cone and fins. What do some of you think?

Most of my builds are scale kits and while I'm not going for competition quality, I always use flat paints and finishes because in my mind, real rockets and missiles have dull or flat finishes, while glossy finishes are for race car advertisements. Glossy rockets can look good, but aren't really my thing.

Most of my builds are scale kits and while I'm not going for competition quality, I always use flat paints and finishes because in my mind, real rockets and missiles have dull or flat finishes, while glossy finishes are for race car advertisements. Glossy rockets can look good, but aren't really my thing.
Well said. I agree

IN general, you want to use a gloss paint. Apply decals. Then apply a clear flat coat.

Went to Home Depot to see if I can find some Silver Metallic paint and no dice. I think I will check Lowe's, but not sure what types of spray paints they carry. This will be my lazy paint job. Silver metallic with maybe some red and black accents. No rush because I seriously doubt we will be launching this year? In case we do I want to have something to fly. My Sumo is ready for the first coat of primer.

Went to Home Depot to see if I can find some Silver Metallic paint and no dice. I think I will check Lowe's, but not sure what types of spray paints they carry. This will be my lazy paint job. Silver metallic with maybe some red and black accents. No rush because I seriously doubt we will be launching this year? In case we do I want to have something to fly. My Sumo is ready for the first coat of primer.
You can get silver metallic paint at any automotive store, AutoZone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, O'Reilys etc.

Back