Painting nose cone tips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlin523

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to paint nose cone tips? I wouldn't think you could tape them because to get the line straight, the tape would have creases that allow paint underneath.

Scotch has some 1/4" plastic tape that will stretch a little to conform to the curve of the nosecone. It's great stuff.

I've wondered what might happen with a vertical dip method of applying paint to the tip of a nose, but you run the high chance of either getting it very crooked or end up with the paint runs.

I've wondered what might happen with a vertical dip method of applying paint to the tip of a nose, but you run the high chance of either getting it very crooked or end up with the paint runs.

And the paint would be too thick and runny.

I picked up some artist tape at Hobby Lobby that supposedly allowed you to do curves. It's blue and comes in a variety of sizes. I think it's Scotch brand. It works, kind of. You can do shallow curves with it but nothing too drastic. You would be able to mask a curve toward the shoulder of a NC but not near the tip.

For that I use Tamiya masking tape and get the area masked as well as I can without a lot of kinks. I pencil in the line I'm looking for and then mask the line so that I will be covering up the line when I paint. The trick with the Tamiya tape is that you can see a pencil line through the tape. That, and the fact that Tamiya is some really awesome masking tape - no bleeding. After masking along and over the pencil line I use a razor knife (with a fresh blade) to make a freehand cut along the line. The paint will cover the pencil line and the cut line nicely.

I generally do it with 3m fineline tape, it's made to have a little stretch to allow taping around compound curves as long as it's within reason. most nosecones fall well within that limit.
An easy way to ensure you've sealed the edge of your tape by applying a coat of testors dull coat. Because it's Matte and clear, it has no pigment so it drys very quickly and in a thinner film with less of a paint dam while sealing the tape edge preventing under-wicking of your tip color when applied.

An easy way to ensure you've sealed the edge of your tape by applying a coat of testors dull coat. Because it's Matte and clear, it has no pigment so it drys very quickly and in a thinner film with less of a paint dam while sealing the tape edge preventing under-wicking of your tip color when applied.

So, what you're saying is you put the tape down, then apply the dull coat, to seal the edge?

If so, neat little trick!

-Kevin

Liquid mask. It's called Maskol here. It's masking tape you paint on, although if you have a steady enough hand for that you could just use paint in the first place. Easier to get off than paint, though. It dries to a rubbery finish you just strip off.

I have done this several times. I will first paint the tip color. After it is dried I will use a scrap of tubing to mask the tip and then spray on the main color.

The mini V2 shown had it's tip masked with a plastic soda straw.

Mini V2.jpg

I have done this several times. I will first paint the tip color. After it is dried I will use a scrap of tubing to mask the tip and then spray on the main color.

The mini V2 shown had it's tip masked with a plastic soda straw.

Great tip (literally) other than if the main base coat is much lighter than the tip color, i.e. black tip and white body.

I have done all of the above and.....used large washers and centering rings, slid down the tip and taped to hold in place. Care must be taken when painting. A few very light mist coats to seal then the final. Let dry then remove the CR or washer VERY carefully.

I use paint shop to draw a circle. I then print it on card stock. I carefully cut it out with a exacto blade. Then I fit on the nose cone making sur it is level and spray paint.
Cornyl

I do appreciate all the input on this question. About drawing a pencil line to use as a guide, how do you get the line even all the way around?

I do appreciate all the input on this question. About drawing a pencil line to use as a guide, how do you get the line even all the way around?

Not sure who this is directed at but since I draw pencil lines in my method I'll jump in. I use some of the other methods mentioned here to draw the line. Soda straws, centering rings, cardstock, washers etc. etc., basically anything that will give you a straight line around the nose cone. The reason I usually don't use these to apply the paint itself is that most of these will leave a fairly thick boundary wall of paint between the painted area and the masked area. Maybe my spray painting technique is a little on the heavy side. Anyway, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. Try a couple methods and see how you like them. Make a conical shape with a piece of cardstock and try a few of these techniques and see which works for you.

Back