Painting large rocket with roller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcadiaRockets

Unprofessional Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I did a search and could not find a yes or no or "what the heck"?
I am finishing up a Loc 7.5 V2. Think large, vintage, 1930's technology. In the interest of giving it a slightly textured (not smooth, NOT gloss) I was thinking I could use an exterior house paint, in hunter green and roll it on with a paint roller?
Is this crazy? Other than I know I will be sacrificing drag coefficient by purposely chasing a less than smooth surface.
Anyone rolled on paint before?
Screenshot 2023-06-05 212814.jpgIMG_20230605_202215897.jpg

You'll be one of the few whose ever done this, but if you're after a textured finish, it's up to you. Most everyone else is going to be shaking their head wondering why you want a textured finish, and likely a very low sheen.

I am finishing up a Loc 7.5 V2. Think large, vintage, 1930's technology. In the interest of giving it a slightly textured (not smooth, NOT gloss) I was thinking I could use an exterior house paint, in hunter green and roll it on with a paint roller?
Is this crazy? Other than I know I will be sacrificing drag coefficient by purposely chasing a less than smooth surface.
View attachment 584673View attachment 584674
I'm sure you could and it might have a scale-like finish. If you are ok with spending a few extra dollars, possibly buy Floetrol and test it. I believe its purpose is to help pain flow when rolled on. I use a little when I spray latex from my HVLP gun on rockets. Not sure if it really helps or not, but its what I heard RC scale guys did and I just tried to learn from their methods. If nothing else, pick up a bottle and read what it says and if you think that would be good for your project, go for it.

Also, if it were me, I'd go with a custom color based on a sample that more closely matched the real V2 instead of Hunter Green. They always mix the paint either way, so why not get the subtly you're looking for instead of an 'off the shelf' color.

All my opinion and far from fact, of course.

I believe its purpose is to help pain flow when rolled on.
Are you sure that's its intended purpose, or maybe just a side effect?

Rollers work great on flat walls, and even on curved ones. But on compound curves such as the nose cone and boat tail, you'll have very little roller area in contact with the rocket. I'd consider using flat paint in an airbrush or even a cheap sprayer like a Wagner.

View attachment 584673View attachment 584674

Sure... why not? I did something similar with my Level One Rocket and my 1965 C10 pickup... Kind of an old school patina look.

001.JPG

RF 3.jpgWith The Custom Dashmat.jpg

Back