Painting is done

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee55

Reaction score
Just finished painting the mean machine. Quick question I want it to be perfect so how long should I wait for the paint to dry and set before applying the decals? My plan is to fly her on July 24 next time I head to the field.

Attachments

• IMG_20220711_155205~2.jpg
    IMG_20220711_155205~2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220708_155446.jpg
    IMG_20220708_155446.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220708_155525.jpg
    IMG_20220708_155525.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 0
Looking great dee. I bought that kit last year so I could butcher it up and turn it into two scratch rockets. Curious what motors you are planning to fly her on.

I'm impatient so prolly not the best person to ask, but I would wait as long as you can stand it before applying the decals. These were the first waterslide decals I've used since I was a kid and they ended up not going on either rocket, lol. To me, the sniff test is the only way to know that the paint is done curing, but it could take weeks depending on where you are keeping the rocket.

After about 2 days the surface I think is more than good enough to slap them on there though. I'm in the same pickle, I have my first full-cure primer layer on my L2 rocket and my sanding fingers are itching to clean up the fluff and spot fill any little depressions, even though I know I'll just end up wasting sandpaper and clogging it up. I'd focus on the chute, make sure everything is good to go, and find a way to distract yourself for a few days at least.... maybe a new kit to start on???? lol

Good luck with her. That kit is kind of impressive for the price.

Looking great dee. I bought that kit last year so I could butcher it up and turn it into two scratch rockets. Curious what motors you are planning to fly her on.

I'm impatient so prolly not the best person to ask, but I would wait as long as you can stand it before applying the decals. These were the first waterslide decals I've used since I was a kid and they ended up not going on either rocket, lol. To me, the sniff test is the only way to know that the paint is done curing, but it could take weeks depending on where you are keeping the rocket.

After about 2 days the surface I think is more than good enough to slap them on there though. I'm in the same pickle, I have my first full-cure primer layer on my L2 rocket and my sanding fingers are itching to clean up the fluff and spot fill any little depressions, even though I know I'll just end up wasting sandpaper and clogging it up. I'd focus on the chute, make sure everything is good to go, and find a way to distract yourself for a few days at least.... maybe a new kit to start on???? lol

Gonna try use a C11-3 if it goes bad I'm gonna try a D12-3 but I'm thinking of putting a spill hole in the chute or reefing it ..think the frist feild test I'll use a 18 inch chute

Gonna try use a C11-3 if it goes bad I'm gonna try a D12-3 but I'm thinking of putting a spill hole in the chute or reefing it ..think the frist feild test I'll use a 18 inch

But yeah I'm gonna start a new build this week I'm gonna take the big Berta tube and use red max fins and maybe a Vaper nosecone or a red max nosecone and build

I'd wait a few days at least before applying the decals.
One suggestion I'll make is to cut the larger "Mean Machine" decal in half before soaking it. This makes it much easier to apply. I ruined the first one I tried to apply, but luckily had an extra left from a MM kit bash.
As for motors, I fly mine on D 12's and it really doesn't go that high, maybe 550ft? An E12 will give you a bit more height. I don't know if I'd risk a C11, possibly if it was built very light.
An 18" chute will be okay, but it will come down quick, a 24" with a spill hole would be better IMHO. I use a 24" Top Flight X-Form chute in mine and the decent rate is pretty good for the fields I fly it on.

Last edited:
Depends on the paint used and how it was applied. If you used Krylon then two days and it will be ready for anything you want to do with it assuming you didn't put it on super heavy. If you used Rustoleum then 4 or 5 days is a good time frame. Something automotive like Duplicolor you can decal same day. I see you are already laying the rocket down and leaning it against stuff so I'm guessing it's dry to the touch already.

As for the motor choice. I see you used that heavy twist together center coupler. For this reason I would not fly this thing on a C11 motor. If you give me the completed rocket weight I'll punch it into Open rocket and see what kind of numbers you can expect.

Some I bought at Walmart lol.. 2 in one primer and paint
OHNO!!! haha... I spent 100$ on paint and primer yesterday and some clearcoat for my L2 at the auto store. Still rattlecan but I noticed a while back that anything "cheaper" at walmart had half as many ounces of paint in the can... If you look at paint at the dollar store it's even worse. I swear I saw a 3oz paint can that was the same size as a regular rattlecan. Since then I'll just go to the auto parts store for paint. They have better colors anyway.

To each their own though I would urge you to double check those numbers if you are thrift shopping. If it was just a convenience thing then I totally get it. I try not to spend too much time in town these days.

OHNO!!! haha... I spent 100$ on paint and primer yesterday and some clearcoat for my L2 at the auto store. Still rattlecan but I noticed a while back that anything "cheaper" at walmart had half as many ounces of paint in the can... If you look at paint at the dollar store it's even worse. I swear I saw a 3oz paint can that was the same size as a regular rattlecan. Since then I'll just go to the auto parts store for paint. They have better colors anyway.

To each their own though I would urge you to double check those numbers if you are thrift shopping. If it was just a convenience thing then I totally get it. I try not to spend too much time in town these days.
Really iv never had any problems from Walmart paint..iv also used dollar general paints as well with no problems.. use to buy paint at AutoZone but got to expensive now days

Back