Painting "HPR" Nosecones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Don't shoot me, I did a search.. :D

Are there any foolproof methods to paining large Nosecones? I say "large" as I'm referring to the larger, poly-teflon NCs typical in HPR kits.. Not balsa or styrene; the one that paint just don't seem to stick to..

The "plastic" paints don't seem to do well on these either..

Prep should consist of:
  • a soapy wash
  • Some plastic primer / bonder / prep spray (that may or may not be available at the local store)

Some have said a light sanding even.
And someone even said to 'flash it' with a propane torch. (The 'flashing' burns off the outer micro-layer sheen so that the paint can 'bite')

Are there some fool-proof methods to get a NC painted; where the paint actually sticks / stays put?! (and doesn't peel off with blue painters tape, a light brush against the rubber car door trim, or ...)

I've always had success with the light sanding method. A minute or two with some 400-grit is all you need. Let your primer dry throughly before applying color or any masking.

I think the most important thing is the washing with soap and warm water. After that, I do sand a bit to raise some fuzz which the primer can stick to. I also use plastic prep (IIRC there is a product actually called that).

Back