Painting flames...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr_rocket04

Reaction score
I would like to practice painting some flames before I paint my larger project. If I cut the flames out and then try to lay them down it's hard to get the design to line up. Can anyone give some suggestions on how I might get some better looking flames?

there are 2 things u can do,

1. use strip tape to shape the outer lines of the flame, and then mask over that and use a razor to thinly cut away the excess tape. then paint
NOTE: strip tape is like a quarter inch wide or so, so it moves easy. i dont suggest using a low tack tape since it likes to come up and let paint run under the tape.

2. u can just mask over ur rocket, draw ur flames out, and use a razor to thinly cut away the excess.

PS. i suggest when using both these techniques u try not to cut the paint, so it requires a steady hand and patients

DONT USE A RAZOR

get some plastic tape from the autobody shop and shape them this way. THe tape conforms how you want it to, so litterally draw the flames with the tape then maske one side of the tape, then paint away

If you use the razor method you will get poor shapes and chopped up paint....IT DOESNT WORK!

Use the thin tape to lay out your design. Use the thicker type to fill in, or masking tape. You will need to use a SHARP razor to SLIGHTLY cut any filling tape that crosses over your lay out tape. Cut just enough to get through the filler tape but not into the layout.

Here was my finish product:

Event_Horizon_Finished_07_07_03.jpg

This was my first attempt. I want to smooth the flow on the next one.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
DONT USE A RAZOR

get some plastic tape from the autobody shop and shape them this way. THe tape conforms how you want it to, so litterally draw the flames with the tape then maske one side of the tape, then paint away

If you use the razor method you will get poor shapes and chopped up paint....IT DOESNT WORK!

hence why i repeated the careful thing alot. lots of pros use the same technique i do for painting flames on bikes and cars with the best results. as long as ur careful and dont press into the tape much u should be fine. but if there is an easier way of doing it out there with still being able to have a killer flame job then by all means

you HAVE to use a razor at some point....to get the points of the flames nice and sharp.

eh not really, ive created some killer paint jobs on pool cues that had sharp points. but the ancient style of just using tape and paint to do flame jobs is over

the new style flames require skill to pull off, and even the tribal flames. just dont have room to have tape in the way sometimes

Thanks a lot guys for all your feedback.

Currently I'm practicing the flames on a small Estes two stager, so I actually may be forced to use the razor method, simply because the body tube's not even an inch in diameter. I will try both before I paint the big project, hopefully I will have an airbrush by then. I'm also going to start looking at all the various flame designs which I can.

do what works for you,,, the important part is ending up with flames that have a nice flow.

you can use thin tape to create pinstripes along the edge of the flames... sets the design off a little nicer..

you could do that by hand but tape is much easier

yup yup, nothing like a killer flame or tribal flame paint job. what colors do u plan on using? like base coat and the colors for the flame job?

never fear the razor. just use finesse, and you'll end up with a huge smile on your face. you can feel once you've gotten through the tape, then all you have to do is go with the flow. keep constant pressure. but make sure you're only cutting the tape. it takes a while, but after a couple practice runs on sheet metal, you'll be good to go.

All the flames I ever painted. I just use the plastic tape from scotts. You can get it at all the auto paint supply stores. you can get it in 1/16" if need be. I looked on the net to find a book on painting flames. And found one at barnes & noble. The book is called Rod powell's flame painting techniques. cost was about 20dollars. He's been painting flames on cars for 40 years or more. Then it was just learning to draw flames from there.
I sure used alot of typing paper Before I got my flames to look good. After you get the hang of it. You can just tape them out on the rockets. I'll post a few pictures of some of the rockets. But the frist one is of the book.

This is the frist one that I did. I used the air brush to paint some red at the tips of the flames.

Originally posted by Const Star
what colors do u plan on using? like base coat and the colors for the flame job?

I plan on using a lighter metal flake silver with a blue metal flake flame job for the large project.

You also have to register before you can view those tutorial links listed.

Anyways, I let me and my friends' anxiousness get the best of me today. As soon as I removed the mask from the rocket (before I applied the flame job), we decided we just had to fly it, partly because we had a sunny 40f degree day on our side. So to the field we went! She left fast when the booster lit, but unfortunately a few seconds later the sustainer motor failed to ignite. After a nice coast, you guessed it, a screaming lawndart was headed on it's way back to earth. Shredded everything to the motor mount and buried the nosecone. Makes me want to glass every project I work on from now on! I was mostly upset because I didn't get to paint the flames however, the rocket only set me back about $15. But then I guess it might be worse if the flames would have turned out good.

Guess I'll have to try these flames on the new U.S. Rockets 12x24mm Swarm Junior when it arrives! :D

You also have to register before you can view those tutorial links listed.

sorry bout that, I should have added that to the thread,
but it's a simple process to register and worthwhile for the tutorals alone.

By the way, what are some of the brands of paints you guys use? I'm looking for paint that really stands out, probably metal flake or some type of chemeleon.

i dont have experience in expensive paints like that, and i dont airbrush either. strictly spray paint like krylon, color place, rust oleum. i hear the new krylon fusion is good for rocket painting though. if u really want a metal flake "LOOK" i suggest using the base coat ur wanting, then with a chrome or silver paint "mist paint" lightly. ex. spraying above the rocket and letting the paint particles fall onto the rocket. (if done over black u can get a nice black pearl look). trying to clear coat over this could ruin the look though. if had more successful jobs done with a lacquer finish. allow days to properly dry well. or u might ruin the job and have to sand and start over again. not fun

Back