Painting Flames

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueNinja

Reaction score
I want to give my G-Force a nice flame job. However, I suck at drawing anything, including paint patterns. Any tips for drawing/ painting flames?

you could do a google image search on "flames" print out a design you like and copy/draw onto tape or something sticky (frisket, shelf paper)

the " pros" use fineline tape and lay them out by hand
that takes some practice, but it leaves a nice pinstripe along the edge of the flames if you do multipule colors.

hey thanks for posting that ,, you can actually download them as pdf's

are plentiful for R/C cars
that's how i put flames on my rockets...

stress-free!
:D

You know I stink as an artisit. Must be a right hand/left half brain thing. But one thing I can do is flames. I used to sit during some of my more boring study halls (Yes I know it probably wasn't the greatest use of my time) drawing flame after flame. If you gave me the body tube diameter I probably could make a pattern for you. Tell what length you want.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
....or you could always just buy these....

Flame Decals

Those would probably work on smaller rockets but for larger rockets you might want to check out the automotive section of Wal-Mart or your local auto parts store too. There are all sorts of large vinyl-esque decals for those teenyboppers who want to dress up their import cars. I for one have been wanting to get into hybrids just so I can build a rocket to put the 'Got Nitrous?' decal on it...(well, that's not the *only* reason I want to get into hybrids!) They have flames, tribal stuff, dragons, & all sorts of stuff. Check it out!

i tried masking a rocket and scoring the tape with a blade, but it still scratched up the bt

any way around that?

use pinstriping tape. The scoring thing doesnt work, and even if you get a decent looking flame the paint seeps under....pinstriping is the way to go, it is thin and flexible

Originally posted by Ryan S.
use pinstriping tape. The scoring thing doesnt work, and even if you get a decent looking flame the paint seeps under....pinstriping is the way to go, it is thin and flexible

I'll second that. Go to your local auto parts store or, depending on where you live, you might have an auto body supply store. I bought a roll on a whim two years ago when i was picking up some spark plugs and have bought several rolls since. Below is a description of the tape.

Scotch® Automotive Refinish Masking Tape 233, 1/8 in x 60 yd, 1
Conformable, hugs curves and contours. Goes on quickly and easily, sticks at a touch and stays put. Every feature perfectly balanced to give outstanding masking results.

3M Id : 70-0160-7028-9
GTIN(UPC/EAN) : 0 00 21200 06343 5
Buyer's Part Number : 06343

hi,

I`ve painted my EXP.38 black with flames, it looked really nice but crashed on the second flight....:(

Here`s a pic of the finished rocket

This was my first flame job using the above mentioned RC car decals:
Blazin_Royal.jpg

This is my first free style try:

Event_Horizon_Finished_07_07_03.jpg

7 x G80's = 840ns
840ns = Cesaroni J210 or AeroTech J145H
Thats alot of ns!! Nice retainer btw :p
Karl

Back