Painting a MAC Performance rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swissyhawk

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to paint my first MAC Performance rocket. The fins seem really slick. Should I do any kind of prep (sanding) to the fins before painting them with a rattle can?

I'd say scuff them well with 180-220 grit paper so that primer will stick well. Make sure you're giving the surface some texture. It is smooth, though I can't imagine the problem is any different for fiberglass. With that said, I haven't worked with MAC's phenolic parts yet; I have a Scorpion on order but not on hand yet. However, I did get a good look at their parts and discussed painting them with Mike Crupe at URRF3 last weekend.

They'll take paint just fine. I've never scuffed mine, and they hold up well. I have two MAC Perf. kits.

Hey guys,

The Canvas tubes and the Canvas sheet (fins) only need to be scuffed with 120 or 220 as Rick and Dave suggested. The canvas is water proof so it will not absorb paint like wood or cardboard. Adhesion is excellent to the sanded components.

Mike Crupe
www.macperformancerocketry
FLY CANVAS!

Last edited:
Honestly, Mike, I never scuffed mine, and they don't have a scratch on them after several launches.

That could be, but general paint prep practice should still apply. Normally, a good finish requires good adhesion. Good adhesion means proper prepping of the surface, which in turn is typically scuffing the surface so that primer has something to bite.

That could be, but general paint prep practice should still apply. Normally, a good finish requires good adhesion. Good adhesion means proper prepping of the surface, which in turn is typically scuffing the surface so that primer has something to bite.

x2

painting is 90% prep and 10% painting...well maybe not those percentages but you get the idea.

Any tricks for getting a good finish on the tubes? I haven't had problems painting the fins, but I found a lot of sanding and primer needed to get a smooth finish. On my Rayzor I primed without sanding (probably the main error), sanded most of the primer, primed with high build primer, sanded with 400 grit, and primed one more time and did some final sanding before painting. 6 cans of primer and a lot of coats! The result was nice, but I'd certainly like to hear any suggestions-it sounds like scuffing really helps though-I think I voided the warranty :)

Back