Painting a FlisKits Long Overdue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmmeyers

Reaction score
I just received a FlisKits Long Overdue in the mail (along with a Sunward Phoenix --- Thanks jonrocket.com!)

Has anyone painted this thing in multiple colors (specifically - different colors in the nested tubes)?
Check out the cover art to see the challenge this can present :
longoverdue.jpg

Did you paint the tubes before gluing them together or to the body? I haven't opened it yet, so I don't know if there are any painting techniques/suggestions included.
Suggestions welcome.

Originally posted by cmmeyers
Did you paint the tubes before gluing them together or to the body? I haven't opened it yet, so I don't know if there are any painting techniques/suggestions included.

I haven't built a Long Overdue, but I have built a tube fin rocket before. Taping off the tubes isn't particularly fun so your best bet--especially with one that has such small tubes--is to paint it then glue it together. Any stress on the glue holding painted surfaces together will not be strong enough to cause problems for this wonderful LPR.

That's my $0.02. HTH,

Perhap you could put a 1/8th inch strip of tape down the line where the tubes will be joined, then finish them and pull off the tape. That gives you a nice solid glue joint, especially if you scuff the glassine before you start.

As far as painting the inside and outside of the tubes different colors, I have been wondering about that myself.

Since the insides of all manufacturer's tubes are not really designed for paint and have no glasine coating or anything else special.

Just brush on a contrasting color to the inside.

Or for a really super looking job...paint the insides of the tubes before assembly just clean off the paint where they are going to be glued and apply masking tape just to the edge and make a "tape cap" for the finish painting.

Pre painting before assembly is probably the best way.

Yep, pre-paint then glue...

mine is painted similar to the cover art, as can be seen here: https://fliskits.com/photo_album/2nd_anniversary/images/p1010137.jpg

What I did was to put 1/8" wide masking tape along all the glue areas on the main body tube and all 6 tube fins. I spray painted the outsides of the tubes, then brush painted the insides.

Actually quite easy to do. When all is dry, I glued it all up.

hope this helps!
jim

Jim,

Did you mention that in the instructions? That might be a really good idea!

I haven't opened mine yet so I don't know.

My long overdue is ...probably...116 on my "to build" list...well, I have to have SOME order to this madness!:rolleyes:

Unless someone gives me a good reason to move it up on the list...but I'm not going to open it early!:mad:

I kept the smaller tubes one color on mine, but the larger fin tubes got the two color treatment. As you can see in the picture, contrasting, or just bright vs. dark colors really standout on this rocket. I did the same thing with a small width piece of tape on the glueing areas. Worked out great!
Sandman, if you want a great 'straight up, no spin' flyer, then move this one up your list. On 8-10 launches, I've never had anything other than an arrow straight trajectory.

agreeing with and adding to whats already been posted

-pre paint before assembly
-1/8" masking strips on both glue surfaces helped with alignment also. Lower Left process shot you can see the masking tape strips on the primed tubes
-insides of tubes first, either make masking tape caps on each end or rolled card stock inside tube with enough outward pressure to hold itself inside tube after inside is painted. This also gives a handle for painting.
-I used basic colors so that the sharpish edges of the fins were nicely touched up with sharpies after assembly. In the lower right process shot the fins are NOT glued together they were just drying.
-fun to build with a little challenge...great lookin' great flyin'

Andy
lodod.jpg

Originally posted by THoz
I kept the smaller tubes one color on mine, but the larger fin tubes got the two color treatment. As you can see in the picture, contrasting, or just bright vs. dark colors really standout on this rocket. I did the same thing with a small width piece of tape on the glueing areas. Worked out great!
Sandman, if you want a great 'straight up, no spin' flyer, then move this one up your list. On 8-10 launches, I've never had anything other than an arrow straight trajectory.

I love that color scheme! The inner tubes *really* standout! :)

General question to those who have built this model. How were the instructions? How well did the templates for cutting the tube work for you? I understand that "tube cutting" is not something that most modelers expect to find in a kit these days, but feel it is warranted and hope that the instructions and templates took away some of the *pain*... :)

jim

Originally posted by jflis

General question to those who have built this model. How were the instructions? How well did the templates for cutting the tube work for you?
jim

instructions=well detailed and clear
templates=perfect, lined up precisely on tubes

I understand that "tube cutting" is not something that most modelers expect to find in a kit these days, but feel it is warranted and hope that the instructions and templates took away some of the *pain*... :)

no pain.Different/interesting designs may require different/interesting techniques. What could be better to stretch the brain? A nice sharp knife helps also.

Andy

Originally posted by Planet Andy
Different/interesting designs may require different/interesting techniques. What could be better to stretch the brain?

I couldn't agree with this statement more, especially when it comes to rockets :D

Originally posted by Planet Andy

no pain.Different/interesting designs may require different/interesting techniques. What could be better to stretch the brain? A nice sharp knife helps also.

Andy

I agree, but there's more to it (from my point of view). You've all heard me hype up the nature of our kits/company is to get back to teaching and using tools (that's why most of our kits have fin pattern sheets and sheet balsa) :) You *will* learn how to cut balsa if you want to build the kit. This can then be carried on to scratchbuilding.

Same with cutting tubes like that. If nothing else, you have now learned a bit about what goes into cutting a body tube which can help you if you want to scratchbuild and need a custom length tube.

Just beware of when we offer a kit with a block of balsawood and instructions on how to turn a nose cone... LOL

Back