Painted garage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Taylor

Reaction score
Does anyone use something to catch the spray paint that doesn't land on the chosen surface? I'm talking I've got to something, with all the building I've been doing my garage is starting to look like a paint booth
Been thinking maybe a large box with one side gone or...... what do y'all do?
Thanks,
John

You'll get lots of answers. I have painted in a refrigerator box, like what you suggested. Fumes still go everywhere. Other build paint booths that are fully enclosed, have an exhaust fan and some dryer vent to sent fumes outside. AfterBurners' suggestion is certainly the easiest when the weather is nice.

Another idea is to buy drop cloths and cover everything in the garage that is of value.

My favorite is to buy colored fiberglass and not paint at all. ;)

You'll get lots of answers. I have painted in a refrigerator box, like what you suggested. Fumes still go everywhere. Other build paint booths that are fully enclosed, have an exhaust fan and some dryer vent to sent fumes outside. AfterBurners' suggestion is certainly the easiest when the weather is nice.

Another idea is to buy drop cloths and cover everything in the garage that is of value.

My favorite is to buy colored fiberglass and not paint at all. ;)

I keep forgetting some of you guys live in cold weather areas. If it was me, I would do all my building during a certain time of year and wait until spring or summer to paint. I don't think I could deal with my garage being covered with paint and breathing the fumes.

I have two large (24") floor fans that I use to pull air out of the garage. I just use HVLP guns and stay close to the subject. Hopefully by Christmas I'll have an 10' x 10' spray booth that moves 8,000 linear feet a moment.

I paint outside when possible. Both inside and outside, I use a large cardboard box with one side removed. It definitely helps control overspray. This method works for rattle cans and airbrush indoors. Higher volume spray guns I use strictly outside, but still with the box.

Jim

I keep forgetting some of you guys live in cold weather areas. If it was me, I would do all my building during a certain time of year and wait until spring or summer to paint. I don't think I could deal with my garage being covered with paint and breathing the fumes.
So far I can't stop, I'm like addicted to the process. I finish one then it seems I have to buy the next one.

At my old house I would build a make-shift paint booth in my garage by hanging drop cloths from the ceiling during the winter months. I then put an old heater in the booth and weighted the drop cloths with anything heavy that I could find. I wore a good respirator, and it worked pretty well.

We just built a new house, so I may be a little more reluctant to paint indoors.

Last edited:
The way I heard it recently was
" I love the smell of AP in the morning"
True that.

My daughter does a lot of painting outside, but has to be careful not to get spray elsewhere. I'm getting her one of these, and probably one for myself:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HomeRight-...236611?hash=item2886619f83:g:mBoAAOSwHU9dl1CZ

The small size, a bit less than 3 feet high/wide/deep is about $35, the larger one about 8x6x5 ft is about $60.

Best -- Terry

Earlier this year someone on TRF posted about using something like this as a spray booth.

Portable Storage Closet
002.jpg

My daughter does a lot of painting outside, but has to be careful not to get spray elsewhere. I'm getting her one of these, and probably one for myself:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HomeRight-...236611?hash=item2886619f83:g:mBoAAOSwHU9dl1CZ
There's someone else who posts here who uses one of those and loves it.

I use a large box (but I want a larger one) with most of one side cut out. Tape it up then cut an opening in one side leaving an inch or two all the way around. It comes out much more sturdy that way. I have a few small holes poked in the top through which I can insert hooks to hang pieces inside. Take a length of wire hanger, bend a U on one end and a right angle on the other. The right angle goes through the hole from the inside with the main length horizontal then you turn it vertical. You can even rotate the work piece by the wire from the outside.

There are still the fumes. And there's a fair bit of back scatter (which is why I need a bigger box) but it's way better than nothing until I get around to building a vented booth of some sort.

I spray outside, however that is a problem during the cold months.

I came across a thread here of someone who was getting very good results brush painting their rockets. I would really like to learn to duplicate their success, brush painting (instead of rattle cans) would have so many advantages. (cost, fumes, masking, overspray, etc...)

Back