Paint won't dry! (on neoprene, I think)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
But... err... not on a rocket, hence posting in the watering hole. My son wanted me to paint a flexible black edge trim silver. I figure it's probably neoprene. So I used some Testor's metallic silver enamel, in the tiny glass jars like we used for plastic models all these many years. This was some 3 weeks ago. It is still tacky! I must admit I never expected that.

So now I don't know whether to attempt to remove it or consider top coating it with a clear coat. But even if that dried or cured properly, with the tacky silver underneath I'd doubt it'd be very durable.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter. What have I done?

Like, a flexible black edge neoprene trim used for what? Unless it’s something critically important, I’d try a clear coat and see what happens. Doesn’t sound like a great loss if it makes a mess. But I don’t know, maybe it would be?

Like, a flexible black edge neoprene trim used for what? Unless it’s something critically important, I’d try a clear coat and see what happens. Doesn’t sound like a great loss if it makes a mess. But I don’t know, maybe it would be?
Yeah, it's something my autistic son likes, about $25.00 but he wanted the trim silver instead of black to match the rest of it.

Have you tried a hairdryer on it or placing it in a sunny spot for a few days?
Well, it's been in my workshop for 3 weeks, where it would get (very) occasional morning sun through the windows - around here, the morning sun doesn't get over the hill top to the south of us until about 8:30 or 9:00. If temperature is required to "kick" it, I could try, as you said, a hairdryer or even the portable heater.

I'm jut really surprised that it can remain tacky this long sitting in open, dry air. Maybe I'll see if there is a way to ask Testors. I just figured with all the painting that we do in this hobby, perhaps someone would have an answer. But thanks for your suggestions!

I wonder if the enamel is not actually breaking down the neoprene, and that is the tackiness you are feeling…
So you mean, it literally isn't "drying", or chemically changing as it should? Not like epoxy, but however enamels "dry"... wasn't something I'd ever thought about before!

ETA: Ok, I can't read. Yes, I suppose that is possible, does enamel do that to neoprene? I thought that stuff was pretty resistant to solvents. Or maybe it isn't neoprene...

Last edited:
Just to resolve this, the Testor's silver enamel never did dry. A couple of months later, I stripped it off. My brother-in-law happened to have some silver acrylic craft paint (water clean-up), which was good enough for my son and actually dried! Case closed!

Back