Paint selection and technique

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got an airbrush? NAPA sells auto colors in Acrylic Enamel which is the easiest to use and colors out the wahzoo. Silver paints have come up in here often and it's a pretty solid fact that there are no really great rattle can paints to use for it. Maybe Testor's, but that's it. I usually get 1/4 cup mixed for smaller models and just turned out a really nice silver-ish paint job. Sorry, no pics yet. But they have a bunch to choose from. And it wont flake off when you mask over it. That's a plus!

Got an airbrush? NAPA sells auto colors in Acrylic Enamel which is the easiest to use and colors out the wahzoo. Silver paints have come up in here often and it's a pretty solid fact that there are no really great rattle can paints to use for it. Maybe Testor's, but that's it. I usually get 1/4 cup mixed for smaller models and just turned out a really nice silver-ish paint job. Sorry, no pics yet. But they have a bunch to choose from. And it wont flake off when you mask over it. That's a plus!

Thanks Gary

The only really good one that I've seen is the Testors Metallizer that you spray and then buff, but it's a PITA and expensive.

If you don't mind it having a "this is an aircraft that's flown its shine **** look, then I recommend Krylon metallic from Hobby lobby :cool:.

Alclad laquers work best for that. Way better than the Testors stuff. They are also a pain in the rear and require a gloss black base coat. But they really do look like metal.

If you really want shine, I've seen modelers attach aluminum foil with spray adhesive, then polish that. Super trick!

+1 for Alclad if 6ou want the clean bare metal finish. Testors is delicate if it is not sealed and, once it is sealed, looks more like weathered metal. Some older jets, F-105 comes to mind, we're painted with an aluminium lacquer which is easily mimicked with silver paint.

This Interceptor-E nose cone is Testors flat aircraft gray. Love the Testors (and Model Masters) color choices, not so much the price. But you can get 40% off at Hobby Lobby using coupon. Most of the military colors are flat, and those look terrible with decals applied directly. This was clear coated using Krylon UV-Resistant Acrylic Clear in Gloss. Decals were applied, then clear coated with the Krylon Matte.

IMG_0153.JPG

That looks great. I might've masked off the cockpit windows and left them glossy though. Where did you get the decals?

Those are the decals for the kit. The cockpit windows are decals.

Back