Paint scheme ideas?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I started painting my PML kit and usually color is based on what I have laying around the garage. I seldom make an extra trip to the auto parts store unless I run out of the paint I need to for a project. Anyway sprayed it with gloss white first and covered it with Chevy Orange and using Duplicolor brand paints. I stopped at the fin can because uncertain which way I want to go with it. I was just going to mask it off and paint it black, but thought too be too boring, so maybe come back and shoot the white and cover the rest with orange and then maybe paint the inside portion of each fin black leaving maybe 10mm border around the outside? I could reverse it with the same colors. Black fins with orange on the inside? Rail guides are masked off and will be given a light coat of flat black. My concern was having too much paint build up and risking the chance of the guides binding on the rail and flat black will add some contrast to the rocket. I was surprised how well the orange covered the rocket. I had maybe 25% left in the can and I only used half that to get the finish that I have on it. There are a few places where a bug or two landed, that I will wet sand before finishing the fin can and the nose cone got some fish eye, but that cab easily be fixed. Every rocket I paint there's always some type of issue that needs to be fix.

Attachments

• 20200708_171645[1].jpg
    20200708_171645[1].jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200708_171655[1].jpg
    20200708_171655[1].jpg
    102 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200708_171700[1].jpg
    20200708_171700[1].jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200708_171724[1].jpg
    20200708_171724[1].jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 27
I paint my fin cans metallic black.

Any chips can be easily “fixed” with a black Sharpie marker.

That’s just my take. Feel free to use or not.

maybe come back and shoot the white and cover the rest with orange and then maybe paint the inside portion of each fin black leaving maybe 10mm border around the outside?

Fancy schmancy - if you can stomach all that masking, that might work.

Depending on where you fly, fins are usually the most visible part of the rocket, especially if it core samples (don't ask).
So if you fly on a newly plowed black earth field, black fins might not be the most desirable color choice. Though a few yellow strakes might do the trick:
est1954.jpg

Personally, I'm biased towards yellow, orange, or red fins. Though an entirely red rocket may be a bit ... bland.
How about red airframe, transitioning into yellow fin-box, like the following:
8949e6614ded7d5bb39dfbcb2ab5693e.image.700x700.jpg

Paint schemes are highly personable choices, do what makes you smile, and helps you find the rocket in your recovery area!

Fancy schmancy - if you can stomach all that masking, that might work.

Depending on where you fly, fins are usually the most visible part of the rocket, especially if it core samples (don't ask).
So if you fly on a newly plowed black earth field, black fins might not be the most desirable color choice. Though a few yellow strakes might do the trick:
est1954.jpg

Personally, I'm biased towards yellow, orange, or red fins. Though an entirely red rocket may be a bit ... bland.
How about red airframe, transitioning into yellow fin-box, like the following:
8949e6614ded7d5bb39dfbcb2ab5693e.image.700x700.jpg

Paint schemes are highly personable choices, do what makes you smile, and helps you find the rocket in your recovery area!

Fade before I fade it from red orange to yellow and it turned out really nice on a rock and I built in the past. This one here is almost already orange completely I just have to paint the thin cans I think after I paint it orange I'll decide what other colors I want to add to it. I agree with you I never thought about that taking a core sample not having anything to look for and black Finch was certainly not show up. Maybe I might add a few black accents on the rocket but maybe keep it mostly Orange but it's good thing to think about as far as what to add to it in terms of accent colors. So far it's turning out good I had to repaint the nosecone today and I didn't have any issues with some happy about that. Also went to the auto parts store and picked up some Dupli-Color Daytona yellow it's the engine enamel just like the Chevy Orange Engine enamel using right now in the rocket. The paint has ceramic in it or something like that but it covers really easy. Anyway I'll let you know what I decide just keep looking at the thread and I'll probably post a new pics up when I get some time.

I agree with you I never thought about that taking a core sample not having anything to look for and black Finch was certainly not show up.

How NOT to pick a color scheme for your rocket (luckily, I saw the direction of where "landed", and the laundry was visible):
rocket 1.jpg rocket 2.jpg

It did require a shovel to dig 2.5-3 feet into the ground to get the front of the airframe out.
You can barely see them, but the fins are black.

Being that it's a FG airframe, the dirt buffed right out!

a

P.S.: Wind gust at take off + setting arming altitude 7 feet too high for a windy day + weak H-motor for the maiden shakedown flight == cruise missile trajectory with altimeter that never armed, nor fired the ejection charges. Backup motor ejection did fire, on the ground, and promptly made the airframe that much LESS visible (pic #2).

Last edited:
So I went out today and pickup up some Duplicolor Universal White engine enamel w/ ceramic. I sprayed the fin can and after it dries I'll check for any imperfections and then wet sand those areas. After I will come back and paint the entire rocket Chevy Orange again, but not worrying about the coverage since I already have orange on it. It should look nice. I like the coverage you get with the engine enamel. It takes a lot less paint. Not in a rush on this because I know that most if not all the launches in my area have been cancelled or put on hold.

Attachments

• 20200714_103633[1].jpg
    20200714_103633[1].jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200714_103642[1].jpg
    20200714_103642[1].jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200714_103700[1].jpg
    20200714_103700[1].jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 19
Have you ever had a rocket that fought you tooth and nail when it came to painting? Well this one is my nemesis. This thing has fought me since I started painted it. I finally finished painting it, which was orange with black inside the fins. I had left about a 1/4" trim on the outer edge of fins. When I went to spray the clear the clear "checked" and came out poorly. I tried correcting it by sanding, but ended up making it worse IMO and since I have OCD :p it really bothered to the point of just giving it away. I'm glad I didn't. I went out today and sanded the entire rocket with 600 wet / dry and when the weather warms up I'll spray a few good coats of primer and start the process over. I think I will just go with the standard Red and Silver paint scheme as it is on the PML website.

You can scroll down if you haven't seen the rocket painted.

https://publicmissiles.com/kits/sportfliers

It seems just about every paint job I do I make some type of error, but in the long run it can always be fixed. I guess I was just fed up with this rocket and didn't want to touch it. Now I'm ready to start over with a clean canvass. So i learned that setting it aside can really benefit you in the long run. It's finding the time and most importantly the motivation to pick it up again.

Have you ever had a rocket that fought you tooth and nail when it came to painting? Well this one is my nemesis. This thing has fought me since I started painted it. I finally finished painting it, which was orange with black inside the fins. I had left about a 1/4" trim on the outer edge of fins. When I went to spray the clear the clear "checked" and came out poorly. I tried correcting it by sanding, but ended up making it worse IMO and since I have OCD :p it really bothered to the point of just giving it away. I'm glad I didn't. I went out today and sanded the entire rocket with 600 wet / dry and when the weather warms up I'll spray a few good coats of primer and start the process over. I think I will just go with the standard Red and Silver paint scheme as it is on the PML website.

You can scroll down if you haven't seen the rocket painted.

https://publicmissiles.com/kits/sportfliers

It seems just about every paint job I do I make some type of error, but in the long run it can always be fixed. I guess I was just fed up with this rocket and didn't want to touch it. Now I'm ready to start over with a clean canvass. So i learned that setting it aside can really benefit you in the long run. It's finding the time and most importantly the motivation to pick it up again.
Sorry to hear about the paint. I have found over the years that most of the time mishaps are due to not long enough drying time. Not saying that is what happened. I tend to shoot a color or clear, right before I leave on a trip for work. That way it has 2 weeks or so to dry. Good luck with the fix. Pics when done.

Sorry to hear about the paint. I have found over the years that most of the time mishaps are due to not long enough drying time. Not saying that is what happened. I tend to shoot a color or clear, right before I leave on a trip for work. That way it has 2 weeks or so to dry. Good luck with the fix. Pics when done.

Yeah not sure what happened, but starting over isn't so bad I guess? I'm good at letting the the paint dry simply because I don't have much time to even work on my projects. It was low 70's when I sprayed the clear, but guess maybe there was a compatibility issues? IDK just guessing? Anyway yes when it's done pictures will be posted.

Paint can be a mystical thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I try to use all of the same brand and type. If I spray Imron, I use Imron clear. My go to paint is PPG omni. Don't want to say cheap, but it is not the price of Delstar. I have had great luck with it over the years. About the only problem I can remember is using the flat clear and I got a lot of white specks. Sanded out, but still extra work. I am actually heading for TX in the morning. Lubbock, so probably won't stop by.

Paint can be a mystical thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I try to use all of the same brand and type. If I spray Imron, I use Imron clear. My go to paint is PPG omni. Don't want to say cheap, but it is not the price of Delstar. I have had great luck with it over the years. About the only problem I can remember is using the flat clear and I got a lot of white specks. Sanded out, but still extra work. I am actually heading for TX in the morning. Lubbock, so probably won't stop by.

you can still get Imron?

I re-primered the rocket today. Still have to sand and primer the nose cone. I feel better now that I have another clean canvass to work with. I'll leave it alone for awhile until the weather gets warmer so I can spray the color.

Back