Paint job gone wrong...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paint year round, sunny, snowy, rainy, hot cold, wife mad at me :( Build a small paint booth in your home. Does not take much to do. Mine is 10'x13'. Fresh air filters, exhaust fan in ceiling, water trap, air plumbed in and fresh air supply for me.

I paint year round, sunny, snowy, rainy, hot cold, wife mad at me :( Build a small paint booth in your home. Does not take much to do. Mine is 10'x13'. Fresh air filters, exhaust fan in ceiling, water trap, air plumbed in and fresh air supply for me.

Sad thing is, I live in a rental community, I cannot set anything like that due to the lack of room.

Could you build something that is not a part of your home then. So that it could be made movable? Do you have a garage? A small cabinet with a exhaust fan of sorts. The only thing you need to be careful of is you do not want it to pick up dust and leave it on your paint job. You could heat a small space in a garage easy. Would be out of the weather. I used to paint in a less than friendly place. Hate picking bugs out of dried paint the next morning. My work greatly improved with the use of my paint booth. Might be some thing to look into. Good luck.

Could you build something that is not a part of your home then. So that it could be made movable? Do you have a garage? A small cabinet with a exhaust fan of sorts. The only thing you need to be careful of is you do not want it to pick up dust and leave it on your paint job. You could heat a small space in a garage easy. Would be out of the weather. I used to paint in a less than friendly place. Hate picking bugs out of dried paint the next morning. My work greatly improved with the use of my paint booth. Might be some thing to look into. Good luck.
I thank you for the info, however it is that my home does not even have a garage, but I do have a basement, yet that is used often by my family, but I may be able to build something like that in the future, after the Coronavirus ends. 👍

The weather here in RI during the month of April has been nothing shy of cold and wet, although I have tried to paint on warm, dry and sunny days, I think the overall weather has adversely affected curing time, or so I hope. I’ve learned a lot about environmental effects on curing time and of course reading directions on can labels. I’m hoping extending curing time way beyond the recommended 48 hours will solve the issue. Bring on the warm dry weather which usually starts in May. Till then stay safe.

Geoff

I live in a small apartment, I’ve made my Chevy work van into a temporary spray booth.

So I was spraying the Metallic Black tonight and had huge blemishes... I fogged on 3 light coats and went for the 4th heavier coat when we noticed it...
I’m letting it sit overnight and I’ll lightly sand with 1000-1500 grit and see it I can salvage this...
Only had an issue in the past once which a pearl Dupli color in the past.
Body tube had primer and was wiped down before spraying.

Any ideas as to what would cause it??

961CD420-71EC-45DC-9EBB-52611B06167B.jpegCA20D710-78AE-4AC0-A765-6C8F366D3046.jpeg

With a smaller rocket, is it possible to bake it at 180-200* to accelerate paint curing (when the wife's away)?

I've tried this, although I don't recall the temp I tried (might have been a little higher, but can't remember). One time the tube "expanded" at the spirals. Another, the tube was supported by a dowel through the tube, which caused the tube to take on an oval shape.

Mike

So I was spraying the Metallic Black tonight and had huge blemishes... I fogged on 3 light coats and went for the 4th heavier coat when we noticed it...
I’m letting it sit overnight and I’ll lightly sand with 1000-1500 grit and see it I can salvage this...
Only had an issue in the past once which a pearl Dupli color in the past.
Body tube had primer and was wiped down before spraying.

Any ideas as to what would cause it??

View attachment 414417View attachment 414418

Just to be clear, You are talking about THESE right?
👇
Annotation 2020-04-30 080533.png

Just to be clear, You are talking about THESE right?
👇
View attachment 414430

Sorry was on my phone looking at it.. No that is the plastic we have [protecting next area to paint. Look right below and to the left the dull spot.

I went back this morning and hit it with 1500 grit sand paper and held the can further back this time around. The metallic flakes had more area to spread out before hitting the tube. Ill try this as well as shaking the Hell out of this can longer.

Thanks Victor

Last edited:
Any flake paint usually takes a few coats to even the flakes out. With rattle cans its hard to get them even but usually a good clear coat will help highlight the duller portions of the paint. I went through this recently and I was unhappy with the results until I cleared it. The metallic I put on over gloss black was supposed to give it a black chrome look providing you went relatively light with the silver. Well I did just that but since I painted the silver on at night on the back deck with poor lighting, the silver wasn't evenly applied. I could have put more on to even it but I would have lost the black chrome look I was after instead turning the thing to silver. I wasn't happy with it but decided to roll with the clear anyway and it looked way better once cleared. IMG_1647.JPG

Any flake paint usually takes a few coats to even the flakes out. With rattle cans its hard to get them even but usually a good clear coat will help highlight the duller portions of the paint. I went through this recently and I was unhappy with the results until I cleared it. The metallic I put on over gloss black was supposed to give it a black chrome look providing you went relatively light with the silver. Well I did just that but since I painted the silver on at night on the back deck with poor lighting, the silver wasn't evenly applied. I could have put more on to even it but I would have lost the black chrome look I was after instead turning the thing to silver. I wasn't happy with it but decided to roll with the clear anyway and it looked way better once cleared. View attachment 414462

You paint job still came out on your silver pretty decent. Rocket looks good!!!

I went light coats for the 3 and 1 solid final coat.
Today I sprayed multiple light coats to cover but holding the can 16-20 inches away allowed flakes to separate some and coat more.
Sad thing I should have used masking tape and not my 25 year old pin stripe tape.. As I pulled off the pin stripe tape it pulled up primer.. lol can’t win for loosing. Can’t wait for Hobby Lobby to open so I can go to air brushing..

C91D4C3D-F101-421B-B80B-189B52DB872D.jpeg

I have that paint lift issue on every rocket I paint and I use expensive tape I purchased at the AB stores. I have had to do more touch up then I care to say. I guess it's part of it and these things take such a beating in the end it doesn't really matter. The metallic looks great and you taped a design off I couldn't do in a yeas worth of trying....that's why my design is swirled! I would love to be able to tape off symmetrical designs like that.

Today I sprayed multiple light coats to cover but holding the can 16-20 inches away allowed flakes to separate some and coat more.
Sad thing I should have used masking tape and not my 25 year old pin stripe tape.. As I pulled off the pin stripe tape it pulled up primer.. lol can’t win for loosing. Can’t wait for Hobby Lobby to open so I can go to air brushing..

View attachment 414482

That looks better now!

@Vdutel I bought an airbrush kit on Amazon. I didn't want to pay a lot for it so after reading reviews I decided to try the Master SB88 Pro set. It comes with 3 different size needles & nozzles. So far so good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J4IUCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The black metallic on white is a great look. That's going to be a gorgeous Zephyr.

I have a can of black metallic Rusto, definitely going to have to try that sometime.

With each attempt...less and less paint biting. Note: This on the side of the Rustoleum spray paint can, "Under" Dry and Re-coat times..."On plastic, maximum paint adhesion and durability is achieved in 5-7 days. Sheesk!!!:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_4843.jpg
    IMG_4843.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 22
With the lockdown in effect track of time is lost. I think I could say at +48 hours before applying the red spray paint. Although when I was taping for the red color I couldn’t help but notice a strong fresh paint smell.
Yes if you can smell paint is not fully cured. I just did the same combo painted rocket all white. 2 days later put some red on it all was fine. Clear coat gives me trouble. I am finding it needs to be applied on fully cured paint and lated on with many lite coats.

VDutel, have you looked at trying out some Tamiya 6 or 10mm tape for the lines, instead of masking tape. I have had good success with it (the one time there was an issue, it was user error).

VDutel, have you looked at trying out some Tamiya 6 or 10mm tape for the lines, instead of masking tape. I have had good success with it (the one time there was an issue, it was user error).

Bill
Nope haven’t tried it but will now....
The tape that pulled up was1/8” pin stripe tape. The masking tape used didn’t pull the primer. So I shot the black and layered 3 coats of clear to prevent any tape from pulling up the Metallic flakes.. I will have to do this on each color to match and prevent uneven lines. I’ll do a complete wet sand and 3 coats of clear on overall body.
Thanks for the heads up...
Victor

So with my Patriot I have found some dust trapped within the paint....I hate it...I usually take it off with 1000 grit, However I just want to inquire about what is the MINIMUM time anyone recommends wet sanding to dry, I usually keep it overnight or a day, but I am looking for the lowest time.

One more bit of feedback for the OP-

If you're in a cold & wet region, you're going to have to allow extra dry time (I live in Portland, OR, so similar issues).

However, one trick I've found improves my chances is to allow the can of spray paint to warm to room temperature (70-75F) before using. If I leave the can in the garage (40-50F) before using, I seem to get paint biting, no matter how long I shake it. Of course, I think the instructions say something about the temperature under which to apply it being warmer than 50F... I guess they're there for a reason 🤔

This is not to say that you don't need ample drying time between coats, as others have pointed out. It just improves your chances of success. And FWIW, I will typically bring my rockets indoors (inside the temperature-controlled house) to dry if it's below ~60F in the garage. Paint dries faster if it's warmer and dryer, of course.

Just to show my way of doing it. 3 hours from bare to clear. 55 degrees.

Attachments

• 20200511_192745.jpg
    20200511_192745.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200511_194027.jpg
    20200511_194027.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200511_202129.jpg
    20200511_202129.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200511_204224.jpg
    20200511_204224.jpg